CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 Cadillac Deville DTS Coolant missing???

I have a 2000 Cadillac Deville DTS and its running fine. Just that the coolant level seems to go low after like a few hundred miles. It does not run hot tho. I changed the cap. I check everyday before I drive if it is low and like every five days I have to add a little bit of coolant to keep it at the full level mark. Should I change the thermostat or something?? PLZ some input with somebody with knowledge of these cars.

Do you smell hot coolant? If so, rent a cooling system pressure tester and pressurize the system and visually inspect for the source of the leak.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

check the radiator cap. If it is not holding pressure it will purge coolant from the overflow and you will lose coolant. cheap and easy fix

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I have changed the cap like two weeks ago. And no I don't smell nothing out the tail pipe or nothing in the coolant reservoir. if the thermostat was bad would it make the coolant evaporate??

I have changed the cap like two weeks ago. And no I don't smell nothing out the tail pipe or nothing in the coolant reservoir.

if the thermostat was bad would it make the coolant evaporate??

No... the thermostat will not make your coolant evaporate...

If the thermostat was stuck closed it would make the car run hot.

If the thermostat was stuck open it would make the car run too cool.

Posted Image

You aren't seeing any puddles/drips especially during ambient temperature swings?

The water pump housing gasket can leak very slightly on these engines - there is an upgraded seal/housing to fix this issue, mine went around 80k

My STS developed a small weep 3-4yrs ago in the coolant recovery tank right above the bolt to the fender it would boil off under pressure but I'd never see a leak when cold. If you see a white stress mark in the lower plastic check it while it's hot - could be opening up under pressure

Check radiator end tanks around the mounting areas especially the casting seams for cracks/wet spots.

Fill the system with correct mix when cold and drive it till it's fully warmed then open the hood and sniff around for coolant smell. A weeping hose connection around the thermostat will show an orange stain on top of the water pump - run your finger around hose connections when it's completely cooled off any wetness could be the source of your loss

Archived