CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mailbag: Digital Dash Out on 1996 Deville

I believe that when you switch out the dash modules, the DIM must be reprogrammed for your VIN *and* all of your car's options. It's best if you have the old dash modules with it so all the data can be used in the new one.

I think that if you just plug in a new or used dash unit without programming it, the car will not function at all.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Good deal.. As for your oil problem. see what happens after you get the car back. On my car the oil light would flicker on and off and I'd get a message: Low Oil Pressure - Stop Engine message. Since your cluster isn't working you won't see if you're getting that message. If you do get the message then you probably need an oil pressure sending unit / oil pressure switch. Part # 12635958. If you're getting the oil light on and a "Check oil level" then you need an oil level sensor.

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I know on the digital one you can swap your original board into the replacement and with that no programming is required and mileage will be correct.

As for swapping between gauge cluster and digital cluster, not really possible because of how the information system and climate controls are setup.

floor shift models have gauge cluster with HVAC and information system in the center above and below the radio

column shift models have climate control to the right of the cluster and information system to the left.

floor shift

th_6318071_27_400.jpg

th_6318071_30_400.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

UPDATE sorry haven't been able to get to computer I got the dash cluster fixed cost $320

however now there is a problem car is sometimes hard to start long crank

if I pump gas 3 times it usually will start right up now I've heard this could be bad spark plugs or wires

could be fuel filter or hopefully not the fuel pump

also check emissions system light appears?

any thoughts??

There is a purge valve in the emissions system that can cause hard-starts but post the code(s) and Cadillac Jim can probably help you.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I think that we need a new topic for this thread at this point.

Pumping the gas on a Northstar or any other car with DFI has no effect. There is one legacy effect that is programmed into the PCM: holding the accelerator to the floor cuts off the fuel injectors to let you clear a flooded engine.

Pumping the gas three times has the effect of waiting about five seconds. This may mean that the fuel pressure has leaked down and the fuel pump, which runs about five seconds and stops when you turn on the key, needs to build up at least 30 psi of fuel pressure for the fuel injection to provide enough gas to start a cold engine.

If the Check Emissions light is on, there is an OBD code. That code will tell you to fix something, and doing that may wll solve your problem. If not, we can go forward with the few problems that do not set a code. I think that what C&C is talking about is the EVAP purge valve, which, if stuck, can cause fumes or gas to accumulate in the intake when the car is shut off after running. If that is bad, there will be an OBD code, and that would turn on the Check Emissions light. Check the link in my signature block for how to run the OBD codes if you aren't already doing that.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived