CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mailbag: Digital Dash Out on 1996 Deville

I got this today in a PM:

hi, my name is steven and I just bought a 1996 Cadillac deville

I have the "cluster digital Dash" and it is out so I cannot see my speed, gas, etc...

anyways my question is how do you solve this problem?

I've thought about buying a cluster off ebay but have read that the anti theft will not allow you to start car

if you can help that would be great

Thank You!

My car had the analog dash, and I never had that problem myself. I would begin by running the OBD codes and see what that tells me. Without the dash display, that's not possible, though. Perhaps a visit to Autozone to get the codes read out for you?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

First question to solve: is the digital dash module getting power and data, or is it "unplugged"? Unfortunately, I think you will have to take much of the dash apart to get to the point that you can unplug the dash module and plug it back in to check. You will also at that point be better able to follow the wiring along to see if it is frayed or in good shape. Also, of the dash module has to be replaced, the work to get to it will be needed to install replacement.

Second conjecture: Is the digital dash working, but not illuminated?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I agree with Jim put a code reader on it and see what codes are showing. If you don't have a code reader, take it to a local auto parts supply store and ask them if they can read the codes for you.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thanks I will try that I know that the fuses are all good and once they test codes will the be able to determine the problem?

I will repost what they say I want to make sure I don't get taken advantage of

Thanks again to everyone who has helped with this problem!

Another question I just added oil yesterday to my car and now today my check oil light is on, I checked where I park and there are no oil stains so idk if I have a leak somewhere else or if car just needs oil change and tune up

For the oil light you probably need a new oil pressure sending unit. Mine does the same thing and I just bought one yesterday.. I have plenty of oil, and the oil is circulating through the motor just fine. It runs as quiet as a church mouse. :D

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

looks just like that picture, the dash was on today but went back out next time it is on I read that you can use codes which might help that problem

as for the oil pressure sending unit how much was that?

so far here is everything that needs work I paid $1300 for the car and it has 149,xxx miles

*Cluster Dash

*Rear Break pads

*Front end alignment

*2 new tires

*Antenna

Do you guys think I got a good deal?

Yours is doing the same as mine did. When mine would come on I checked codes but it didn't bring any up for that problem. But, It's a common problem with these cars.. The oil pressure sending unit cost me $11.00

$1,300.00 sounds like a decent price. Depends on how it looks with 149K ..Mine has 128K but it's been garaged kept and never in an accidents.

Thanks jndnaps, yes I think mine is doing the exact same as your which is why I messaged you for the help

update on the 1996 Cadillac Deville

when I got the car it already had a cd player in it which sucks because I know that always messes things up if not installed properly

tonight when I went to store the cd player did not light up or turn on and then as I was pulling onto my street the headlights lightly flickered

Any Thoughts?

Do you think if I buy a new battery that could fix my dash lights, CD player going out and lights flickering?

If it starts ok and runs ok, I don't think it is a battery issue...

Posted Image

Do you guys think that if I get analog cluster instead of digital one that I will still have the anti-theft lock out problem?

seems like that would work better and if I have to get the digital one than wouldn't be better to take the one I have to speedometer place and repair

than buy one and have to take to dealer

okay just a thought, now I talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he told me I could buy replacement cluster and it wont have to be re-programed unless I want miles to be right

now my concern is the anti-theft lockout I don't want to buy replacement only to have that happen

I plan on removing the CD player asap just want to do it the right way and not mess anything up

jndnaps you said you took yours to a speedometer repair place and was about $300 is that part & labor?

was this all day repair?

I'm pretty sure your mechanic friend is wrong. I'm pretty sure you'll have a problem with the the anti-theft. If you get one from another car it has to be set/programed for your car. It cost me $350.00 total. Took a day, but let them have the car for a few.

Also, I did find a place that would do it cheaper, somewhere around $280.00, but I didn't trust them like I do the place I went to. They're more expensive, but do good work and I've used them many times before without a problem. I'd rather pay a little more and get it done right the first time.. Hell, the dealer wanted $650.00 or more... I forget exactly what they wanted, but it was a lot.

looks just like that picture, the dash was on today but went back out next time it is on I read that you can use codes which might help that problem

as for the oil pressure sending unit how much was that?

so far here is everything that needs work I paid $1300 for the car and it has 149,xxx miles

*Cluster Dash

*Rear Break pads

*Front end alignment

*2 new tires

*Antenna

Do you guys think I got a good deal?

It is not the oil pressure sending unit - it is the oil level sensor that is mounted in the oil pan. If you are receiving a false CHECK OIL LEVEL message.

$1300 seems like a good deal to me.

You need to find a Delco radio/speedometer repair shop and have them fix the cluster.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived