CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

misfire questions. Could use some advice.

rockfangd

Yeah, but you have to respect the viewpoint of a tech. If it can happen in this world, an experienced tech will see it sooner or later. This guy specializes in exchange Northstar engines.

I agree with that, but even agreeing, I will posit that it is very, very rare for a NorthStar to have valve issues.

In my 8 years of having NorthStars and being on two Cadillac forums, I don't recall anyone ever having to have a valve job done on a NorthStar.

I have owned Cadillacs for the last 34 years.

Agreed!

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It is very rare to have valve sealing issues on a northstar indeed. But, as many years as I have been working on these engines, cars, everytime I think I have seen everything , something else pops up. The valve seat sealing issue have been with the 2000 up northstars, pumping 50 psi on a compression test. I have a 99 heading my way with 60 psi on #4 so who knows. The older these cars get the more problems arise. Just trying to pass hands on knowledge to people. THE FSM is kinda useless to a person working on a 15-20 year old car that has spent its whole life up north and nothing want to come apart, rusty.

i know that feeling all too well. Flat rate sucks here because it takes 10 minutes just to remove a bolt. If you are lucky.

I did find a set of door panels yesterday but they were even worse than mine. the car was beautiful but door panels were garbage.

There is a metal bracket behind the grab handle that breaks off the panel and all hell breaks loose. I may just try to repair mine and hope for the best.

I had a 96 Eldo awhile back and had the same problem. I wish they had improved the design, or at least had a TSB or recall for them.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 2 months later...

I just had a miss in the #5 cylinder. I pulled the wires from the coil pack and the #5 post was pretty fried looking. The rest were nice a shiny and clean. Replace the coil pack for the #2 and 5 and it's good to go. Cheap and easy $40.00 fix. :)

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

wish a new one was that cheap for the 2001. the style you have was used in nearly every GM throughout the 90s. very reliable for the most part

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

That is one beautiful Deville with white diamond paint same as my ELDO,how many miles on that Jewel ?? Just curious!!

That is one beautiful Deville with white diamond paint same as my ELDO,how many miles on that Jewel ?? Just curious!!

Thanks! Has almost 129K on it.. Pretty much all original.. :)

When you say mostly original are you saying mechanical parts? If so, you are one of a few that can say this. I have 110k on mine and mine too is mostly original. I only had some of the usual wearable parts replaced.

I had my first brake job at 120,000 miles on my 1997 Eldorado. The rears had a lot of pad left but I wanted all the same pads.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I'm pretty much talking about the body, paint and interior. Although a lot of the mechanical parts are too. Even the shocks and struts.. They do need changing though..

It took me 10 years to do it, but this is my 400th post!! WOO HOO!! :yupi3ti:

Archived