CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

torque strut bushings

rockfangd

Hi all. My 2001 Eldo has the engine torque struts (dogbones) and the bushings are shot. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any poly bushing kits available for them?

I find that the aftermarket mounts dont seem to be able to take the stress.

Thanks all. I imagine I am not the only one that has asked this but the search didnt seem to help much.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

You don't want nylon bushings there for driving on the street because hard bushings will couple vast engine noise and vibration to the radiator mount, from which it will be carried all over the car and radiated to your surroundings. These are motor supports, and street cars don't use solid motor supports.

Since the bushings are molded into the dog bones, you can't get them separately. But the dog bones aren't too expensive.Torque is 44 lb-ft (1997 FSM, page 6-47). One end has play until tightened, and that adjustment is there so that the dog bones are not loaded when you tighten the bolts that last time. But if the bolts on that end aren't tight, the engine will move within that play, so make sure that the dog bone bolts through the rubber bushings are tight.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I don't believe there is a poly bushing kit available--just not enough demand--and poly bushings may be too hard anyway. You may be able to buy poly strut bushings that are the approximate diameter and make them work with Torque Strut Mounts. But new Engine Torque Strut Mounts are cheap at about 14.00 each and the rubber is softer to absorb shock. Once or twice a year spray the rubber with some protectant.

Not sure what aftermarket brand of dogbones you've had poor luck with but I installed a set on my 1997 STS when I did the engine work back in 2006 and they are still good when I had them off to do the transmission R&R a couple of months ago. I think I bought them at Napa because the dealer wanted an arm and a leg for them...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

thanks guys. The bushings are shot. almost falling out of the mounts. They are cheap. My oldsmobile used to eat them, My Deville has been ok with them though. I am running anchor ones in my Deville with ok luck. Maybe I will just try them and see how they do

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Rock Auto has two brands for about $8 each. Neither of them are AC/Delco. Amazon has a larger selection with some brands with slightly higher prices; search on "Cadillac torque strut mount." The right and left dog bones are different lengths and are different parts.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived