CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Good evening to one and all,

My car has always hesitated going into gear. It acts as though the transmission fluid may be low, however, it is not. So now I am in the process of pumping out my transmission on '99 STS with 140,k miles. I disconnected the top transmission cooler line, thinking that was the input to the cooler. It was not... The transmission fluid poured out slowly. I was under the impression is should have blasted out! I realize now, the fluid was coming out of the transmission cooler instead of the transmission line. No matter, should the car be in gear, or park?

Thanks in advance for any tips to pumping out the fluid. Could there be a cure to the car taking 5+ seconds to engage the transmission after start up!

Sincerely,

Ohio Jim

any other time I would say a restricted filter but given the circumstances I am not sure. you have 2 screens and one filter. the 2 screens are in the lower pan and one is in the side pan. the only one I could figure would get restricted would be the one in the side pan.

Did something maybe happen and it started having this problem?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Rockfangd,

No, I bought the car with 38,k. It always seemed to take few seconds to get fulliy into gear. Not sure if it is the colder weather making it worse, but it now takes 5+ seconds. The trans fluid has always been up to level. I wanted to change it over to Dexron VI because of this site's comments and the 15 year age of the fluid. I have never heard of the screens getting plugged. Someone at Rock Auto, (I believe), told me the actual filter in the transmission only gets replaced when the transmission is rebuilt. I don't want to change out the fluid, only to have to later clean the screens and change out the fluid again, that is what actually needs done. I am trying to determine if what seems like low flow to the trans cooler while in park, is any sign of a problem I can address. Looking for guidance, like should the trans be in neutral or drive when pumped out the dry sump.

Thanks for your reply,

Ohio Jim

Here is the procedure I use with the 4T80E transaxle. There is more information than you need but someone else might be starting from a point of zero experience.

4T80-E transaxle fluid pump-out.
The transaxle fluid is connected to the LH radiator end tank for cooling purposes. Transaxle fluid pressure is routed to the bottom end tank fitting and the fluid is returned to the transaxle via the upper end tank fitting. Pumping the system dry becomes a matter of removing the return line from the upper end tank fitting and adapting the configuration of the end tank plumbing so the fluid can be directed to a large bucket instead of being returned to the transaxle. Fluid IN at the bottom of the radiator end tank and fluid OUT at the top.

My '98 Seville (and many other year models) used a quick-disconnect arrangement at the top fitting. There is a plastic/nylon collar covering a hair pin spring that secures the steel line to the fitting in the radiator end tank. Slide the collar out of the way, remove the hair pin spring, and separate the steel line from the radiator fitting. DO NOT lose the spring or the O ring on the end of the steel line.

Use your plumbing skills to adapt the radiator fitting to something that allows a hose to be attached so the fluid can be directed to your large bucket. Pictured is the fitting I used with a '98 Seville.

Use enough hose so you can place the bucket beside the open driver's door. Run the engine @ idle in PARK and be prepared to stop the engine the instant fluid flow stops. This method will pump out approximately 11 to 12 quarts of transaxle fluid.

Button all the plumbing back to original and pour 11 quarts of DEXRON VI in the transaxle. Drive the car at least five miles to warm the new fluid and adjust the level on the dipstick as needed. Always check fluid level warm with engine @ idle in PARK.

post-16-0-70658200-1393664647_thumb.jpg

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

JimD,

Thanks for the detailed response. When the fluid comes out, is it under high pressure? Mine was only dribbling out of the radiator! Secondly, the adaptor you developed was place where? How is it attached to the radiator?

Thanks

Ohio Jim

My adapter threads into the top radiator end tank fitting.

I have no idea what the transaxle pump pressure is at idle RPM but there should be a good steam of fluid flowing (less than a garden hose). If your pump is not developing pressure at idle RPM, you might be looking at a failing/failed pump.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

JimD,

Thank you for the clarification! I understand now. I will look up that fitting and see what I can devise! I'll let you know how it turns out!....Now about that power steering fluid....lol I am assuming I can do the same kind of pump-out procedure, as long as I don't run it low and get air in the system.. The hose connected to the front has a small, factory style, hose clamp. I am assuming that is the return line... so I was thinking of getting the serpentine belt off, then driving the pump with a drill motor to be able to control the flow... if not, what about keeping the car from starting, then pumping the fluid with just the starter motor... sound too crazy???

Sincerly,

Ohio Jim

My method for power steering fluid involves a turkey baster to remove the fluid from the reservoir. Drive the car for a week or so and repeat. And repeat until you are happy with the performance and fluid color.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I second the turkey Baster for the power steering, and i use the Baster to stir up the brake fluid, and turkey baste it out of the master cylinder. You will be surprised how much sediment accumulates At the bottom of the tank.

I have been recommending this for a long time. I have had noisy pumps quiet right down by doing this.

GM FAN FOREVER

JimD, Winterset, Rockfangd,

Thank you for the update on power steering fluid change over. I have used the turkey baster method on my '99 300M and it sure quited the pump down. I never changed out the pump, and in the end, I kept the car until 210,k! I guess I'll get a cheap baster tomorrow and get on it! Thanks for the idea of stirring it up as well. Some pumps have in line filters. Have you ever seen a filter on a Caddy?

Ohio Jim

yes actually. in the right front corner I believe. at least on my era. behind the front bumper

GM FAN FOREVER

JimD,

Thanks for the detailed response. When the fluid comes out, is it under high pressure? Mine was only dribbling out of the radiator! Secondly, the adaptor you developed was place where? How is it attached to the radiator?

Thanks

Ohio Jim

I would purchase a transmission fluid filter kit from AC Delco and after the fluid is pumped out, I'd pull the pan and look at the scavenger screens. It is also a good idea to clean any sediment from the bottom of the pan while it is off. The trans. should not take 5 seconds to engage.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Rockfangd, KHE, JimD,

Thanks once again for the replies. I will attempt to get back into this. I am kind of waiting for the weather to break! It has been zero degrees night after night. Today I was able to do an impromptu oil change on my daughter car... out in the balmy 25 degree breeze. JimD... Nice to know no power steering filter... going after a baster! KHE, do you actually change the filter, as apposed to just cleaning the screens? I was under the impression the filter change is only when opening up the transmission.

Ohio Jim

Rockfangd, KHE, JimD,

Thanks once again for the replies. I will attempt to get back into this. I am kind of waiting for the weather to break! It has been zero degrees night after night. Today I was able to do an impromptu oil change on my daughter car... out in the balmy 25 degree breeze. JimD... Nice to know no power steering filter... going after a baster! KHE, do you actually change the filter, as apposed to just cleaning the screens? I was under the impression the filter change is only when opening up the transmission.

Ohio Jim

The filter is under the side cover and is usually only changed during a trans. overhaul. The screens are in the bottom and visible when the pan is dropped. The transmission kit from GM which includes new screens, o-rings and pan gasket is cheaper than buying the pan gasket alone so I just chage the screens while I have the pan off.

Be sure to use the OEM gasket that has the steel bushings - if you use a cheapo cork gasket, you will distort the pan when you torque the bolts to the factory spec. The cork gasket will also leak.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived