CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tranny funny when cold

droger03

It is possible to do the pump assembly replacement in car. Just follow the procedure for replacing the vss sensor in the archive. After you lower the cradle and remove to side cover, you actullay remove the pump assembly in the process. Also like I said, I had the unit out this past Sunday for visual inspection. I have a new pump on the way from a local gm dealer that owes me a favor. The part # is 8685141 and it comes with the pump body and the upper valve body assembly. They are only charging me $125.00. I'm going to drop the cradle tonight and pull the old pump out so It will be ready for install tommorrow.

I was mistaken, there was no specific reference to the pump assembly. Plus, being from the 'old school' I am used to seeing the pump behind the torque convertor, and since I understood that this tranny was a redesign of the TH400 I 'just assumed' it was similar. You know what they say about assuming :unsure:

Anyway so much for the excuses... its good to see that you can remove the pump assembly. Great price, I wish my Caddy dealer owed me a favor... :lol:

What concerns me however is that you had it out to inspect it and didn't see any problems. Clearances are really important maybe its possible that the clearances are out of spec and it is leaking internally.. Did you check the clearances? I would have felt better if you did a pressure test first but it sure sounds like a pressure problem.

You say you are dropping the cradle, are you dropping the ENGINE cradle? What do you do for a living? Do you have a lift?

"Stalling" a drivetrain basically means a brake torque just beyond the "stall speed" of the torque converter, in the NS case I believe it to be 1700 RPM. I am not the trans guy, but I would look at the converter lock up, and the electronics that manage it. If anybody knows what the true lock up RPM is on a typical NS converter, I would like to know. I am almost sure that the STS has a higher lock up than the SLS or Deville.

Archived