CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Yes as the title states this is a myth if by overfilling the oil sump on a NS engine you will cause it to leak or burn excessive oil. Nonsence ! By overfilling the sump by lets say 1/2 quart you raise the amount in the oil pan about 1/2 inch.. Look at a picture of the inside of the NS oil pan and tell me how it could cause those two conditions..This is a myth started on the internet. And almost every NS owner believes. it..How overfilling can cause more oil consumption or to burn more oil is just folly..If you think not prove it...

Not exactly. The GM Powertrain engineer who was on the Northstar development team and used to frequent this site stated that overfilling the crankcase will cause the crank to churn the oil and the vapors would be pulled in and burned through the PCV system. This was for owners who were checking the oil level when the engine was cold and filling the sump until the oil level was at the top of the hash marks on the stick. The oil level is to be checked when hot in order to obtain an accurate reading.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I only run 7 to 7.5 in my caddys. never had a problem. 8 fills it to the full mark, which becomes over once the engine is warm.

I also believe running it a little lower helps with crankcase seal leak.

Also I figure why run 8 if it doesnt need it. if it takes 7.5 then I have a spare half quart for top off later

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Yes as the title states this is a myth if by overfilling the oil sump on a NS engine you will cause it to leak or burn excessive oil. Nonsence ! By overfilling the sump by lets say 1/2 quart you raise the amount in the oil pan about 1/2 inch.. Look at a picture of the inside of the NS oil pan and tell me how it could cause those two conditions..This is a myth started on the internet. And almost every NS owner believes. it..How overfilling can cause more oil consumption or to burn more oil is just folly..If you think not prove it...

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject my statement was all wrong. Overfilling does cause leaks and excessive oil burning due to it being picked up by the PVC system. I apololgize for making such a statement.. DONT OVERFILL.. By the way on NS engines only go 2 marks above the ADD line. If you take it all the way to the top mark You've overfilled by at least a half (or more) a quart. Blame the engineers for this screw up. Apparently I've been overfilling mine for a couple of years. But yesterday I changed my own oil put 7 1/2 qts back in and it registered 2 marks above the Add line. When your level shows right at the A your one qt low When it shows clear at the end of the dip stick your 2 qts low. Your still ok if the low oil light comes on because you still have 5 quarts in the system but should add oil asap. Oh yes let it set for about 15 min. after refill to do this reading..

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject my statement was all wrong. Overfilling does cause leaks and excessive oil burning due to it being picked up by the PVC system. I apololgize for making such a statement.. DONT OVERFILL.. By the way on NS engines only go 2 marks above the ADD line. If you take it all the way to the top mark You've overfilled by at least a half (or more) a quart. Blame the engineers for this screw up. Apparently I've been overfilling mine for a couple of years. But yesterday I changed my own oil put 7 1/2 qts back in and it registered 2 marks above the Add line. When your level shows right at the A your one qt low When it shows clear at the end of the dip stick your 2 qts low. Your still ok if the low oil light comes on because you still have 5 quarts in the system but should add oil asap.

The engineers didn't "screw up" anything. The dipstick is calibrated for checking the oil when hot, not cold.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject my statement was all wrong. Overfilling does cause leaks and excessive oil burning due to it being picked up by the PVC system. I apololgize for making such a statement.. DONT OVERFILL.. By the way on NS engines only go 2 marks above the ADD line. If you take it all the way to the top mark You've overfilled by at least a half (or more) a quart. Blame the engineers for this screw up. Apparently I've been overfilling mine for a couple of years. But yesterday I changed my own oil put 7 1/2 qts back in and it registered 2 marks above the Add line. When your level shows right at the A your one qt low When it shows clear at the end of the dip stick your 2 qts low. Your still ok if the low oil light comes on because you still have 5 quarts in the system but should add oil asap.

The engineers didn't "screw up" anything. The dipstick is calibrated for checking the oil when hot, not cold.

Then I stand corrected again my apology..

^^^^^^^^^^^ This....

Posted Image

I put 7 i/2 quarts in at oil change , check the oil befor first start of the day.Oil is not hot ,but oil also has not been dispersed from the pan thus giving the oil volume a accurate reading.Does that sound right ??

I put 7 i/2 quarts in at oil change , check the oil befor first start of the day.Oil is not hot ,but oil also has not been dispersed from the pan thus giving the oil volume a accurate reading.Does that sound right ??

That will be the cold reading. It will most likely not be to the FULL mark or top of the cross hatched area on the stick.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Excerpts from Subject: Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines

Models: 2009 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Gasoline-Powered Light Duty Trucks Under 8500 LB GVW (Including Saturn)

Many factors can affect a customer's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner. Thoroughly evaluate each case before deciding whether the vehicle in question has abnormal engine oil consumption.

Gasket and External Leaks
Inspect the oil pan and engine covers for leakage due to over-tightened, damaged, or out of place gaskets. Inspect oil lines and fittings for signs of leakage.

Improper Reading of the Oil Level Indicator (Dipstick)
Verify that the dipstick tube is fully seated in the block. When checking the oil level, make sure the dipstick is wiped clean before taking an oil level reading and fully depress the dipstick until the shoulder bottoms out on the dipstick tube. The dipstick should be the proper part number for the engine/vehicle that is being checked.

Notice: Operating your vehicle with an oil level that is below the minimum level indicated on the engine oil dipstick can result in severe engine damage. Repairs resulting from operating an engine with insufficient oil are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Important: Refer to Owner Manual in SI for checking and adding engine oil.

Not Waiting Long Enough After Running Engine to Check Oil Level
Some engines require more time than others for the oil to drain back into the crankcase. To assure a sufficient amount of oil has drained back to the crankcase, and an accurate reading can be obtained, the vehicle should be allowed to sit for at least 15 minutes, after the engine has been shut off, before taking an oil level reading. In order to ensure accurate results, the temperature of the oil should be close to the same temperature as the last time the oil level was checked.

Important: This does not apply to 2006-2009 Corvette Z06 equipped with the 7.0L LS7 and the 2009 Corvette ZR-1 with the 6.2L LS9 engines (dry sump). Follow the instructions in the Owner Manual for checking the oil in this application.

Improper Oil Fill after an Oil Change
Following an oil change, verify that the proper amount and type of oil was put in the engine and that the oil level on the dipstick is not above the full mark or below the add marks. Refer to the Owner Manual or Service Manual for information on recommended oil quantity, viscosity, and quality.

Archived