CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

WiFi OBD II Link on Kickstarter by Established Company

The company OBD Solutions,

http://www.obdsol.com/

apparently is using Kickstarter to get a backlog of $35K for a production run of PC boards, ASICs, and other product-specific things like polymer extrusions.

I've been using OBDLink SX OBD-to-USB scan tool with their Scan XL software with GM Add-On for years. It was a standby in maintaining my 1997 ETC and still is for my wife's 1999 Pontiac. I've used it on a friend's 2000 Toyota Avalon to read and reset a code that turned on the MIL light. I've been intending to get their Bluetooth model since I got my CTS-V so I can drive it and populate the spark tables and such without a cable across my shins but haven't gotten around to it. Their web site is

http://www.scantool.net/

As best I can tell, this is the same company. They do business with the technical and geek community selling chips and such as OBD Solutions and OBD Cables, and with the consumer selling scan tools and links as OBD Link.

The new model exists in reliable prototype form and works with WiFi and apps for iPhone/iPad and Android. That alone is enough for my Android smartphone and possibly for my aging Kindle Fire, but I may be able to use it with my laptop as I do now with the older cable OBD link.

If you sign up for $70 as a Early Adopter, you can get one when they go into production (estimated in May). They say $50 in the ads, but the limit at that price was 300 units and they are full up, so they offered and extended offer for $70. There are 134 left as of this morning. I got one at $70, and you pay through your Amazon account without presenting a credit card to Kickstarter. Price will be $120 when the remaining 134 Kickstarter early adopter slots are taken.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Whooa. This e-mail came this afternoon:

Dear Friends,

This is Day 1 of our first Kickstarter project, and we are completely blown away and humbled by your overwhelming support. Thank you so much! We worked hard to make it a success, but never in our wildest dreams expected to meet our funding goals in the first six hours since the launch.

Please share your thoughts on what you think would make for a good stretch goal, and any other feedback you have.

Sincerely,

Your friends at OBD Solutions/ScanTool.net

I just checked, and the $70 early-adopter deals are gone, but they threw up an $80 early-adopter deal that still has 174 slots left. They have exceeded their minimum goal in just one day. I expect an early shipment of my OBDLink MX WiFi.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived