CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Problem With Mirrors

OynxSTS

I've begun to notice a problem with the mirrors on my 2002 STS.

As I pull out to pass cars at highway speeds, usually at about 60-70 MPH, I first check my mirrors and note the vehicle that I am in the process of overtaking.

At first every thing is normal, but then after a second or two of WOT when I re-check the mirrors again the car that I have just passed usually is really really really small… I mean you can barely see it in any of the mirrors!. :o

The effect varies though, Minivans and Japanese SUVs seem to shrink the fastest. :huh:

Any suggestions? Could my average mileage of 12-13 MPG be related? <_<

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

At first every thing is normal, but then after a second or two of WOT when I re-check the mirrors again the car that I have just passed usually is really really really small… I mean you can barely see it in any of the mirrors!. 

The effect varies though, Minivans and Japanese SUVs seem to shrink the fastest. 

How about Crown Vics? :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I've begun to notice a problem with the mirrors on my 2002 STS.

As I pull out to pass cars at highway speeds, usually at about 60-70 MPH, I first check my mirrors and note the vehicle that I am in the process of overtaking.

At first every thing is normal, but then after a second or two of WOT when I re-check the mirrors again the car that I have just passed usually is really really really small… I mean you can barely see it in any of the mirrors!. :o

The effect varies though, Minivans and Japanese SUVs seem to shrink the fastest. :huh:

Any suggestions? Could my average mileage of 12-13 MPG be related? <_>

WHOA!!!! That's crazy! The exact same thing happens in my eldo and it has the 4.9.....no northstar here :P

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

How about Crown Vics? :D

The monochrome ones yes... Had a close call with a "two tone job" this morning...

caddy.jpg

Greg

My side mirrors are turned to my blind spots to the left and right, so that as a car overtakes me, and moves from the edge of my vision in the rear view mirror it enters for example the edge of the left outside mirror. As it moves out of the left outside mirror it enters my peripheral vision to the left.

If you likewise turn your outside mirrors outward so that they clear your blind spots, you will only see cars that can overtake you, and it should eliminate the competing brand shrinkage you mention, except in the center rearview mirror. IN that case, best to keep your focus down the road.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

--------------------

Hmmmm, make me want to install BitTorrent!

Anyway, maybe you finally found a use for "curb veiw"! Try putting the thing in reverse when that happens, then report back! ;)

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

What are you doing looking in your mirrors anyways! You should be concentrating on the cars in front that you are about to pass - everything in the mirrors is kindof ancient history - in the past! Of course if you count to 5 and then look at your mirrors your problem will be solved - there will be nothing in the reflection....

Tom R.

1998 Cadillac STS with 102K Miles

What are you doing looking in your mirrors anyways!

A better question might be what the heck are you doing posting at 2:30 AM...

They can't be working you that hard :blink:

Don't forget... It's only government work! :huh:

caddy.jpg

Greg

Yep ... I was once confronted with a lonely road stringing out in front of me in Utah. Only some hills on each side and nothing in front for as far as you could see.... I agree with Mario .... at 125 the road got narrower and narrower and I could not even glance at the speedo. So .... no reason to try for more.

Of course, when I got back on the interstate, there were no gas stations for way too many miles. Drifting behind pig trucks got me to within 3 miles of a gas station .. the bonneville salt flats gas station. C breedlove probably washed his hands there .... lolllolllol

(thats where the pic was taken!!)

Making an attempt for a top end run, with exceptional road and surounding the road conditions, I pussed out @ 143, with the car handeling well and pulling strong. Someone asked what was the tach reading? I have no clue! I would take ever so small glances at the ditital readout. When you're going that fast, one slightest mistake, and you can kiss your @$$ goodby, and you can take that one to the bank. As far as rpm, based on the engine sound, it was somewhere between 4.5 to 5.5 maybe 5.8 k. Again, based on the sound, I don't think it was @ 6k or higher. I guess I should have taken a look--huh?

Archived