CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How does it work?

Paul S

I have been pretty dazzled by all the new options that have become available since my '99 STS was new. I have really been drooling over the heated steering wheel and cooled seats. I can imagine the heated steering wheel isn't much different then the engineering involved in the heated seats, but I am curious as to how the cooled seats work.

I really like the heated steering wheel and the 'ventilated' seats (they aren't actually A/C'd as such). They work by exhausting air (vacuum) from the seat perforations, not pressurization, and for the lack of a better explanation, cool by helping evaporate your own perspiration and body heat. And agree with Jim; I like them a lot.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I really like the heated steering wheel and the 'ventilated' seats (they aren't actually A/C'd as such). They work by exhausting air (vacuum) from the seat perforations, not pressurization, and for the lack of a better explanation, cool by helping evaporate your own perspiration and body heat. And agree with Jim; I like them a lot.

Mine are refrigerated.... they will get cold to the touch even if you are not sitting in them.

Mine blows air OUT thru the perforations of the seat... you can hold your hand close to the seat and feel it blowing.

I think they use a Peltier circuit to cool with... but I'm not positive of that.

Posted Image

The Peltier affect is indeed the process used to cool and heat the seats in question.

The process in the cooling mode is similar to that used in portable drink coolers that utilize a 12 VDC power source.

In heating mode the Peltier module generates heat that is absorbed by a heat sink. A series of fans circulate air across the heat sink and distribute the warm air throughout the seat.

In cooling mode the DC voltage input to the Peltier module is reversed and the heat sink is cooled. The same fan arrangement distributes the cool air radiated by the heat sink.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The Peltier affect is indeed the process used to cool and heat the seats in question.

The process in the cooling mode is similar to that used in portable drink coolers that utilize a 12 VDC power source.

In heating mode the Peltier module generates heat that is absorbed by a heat sink. A series of fans circulate air across the heat sink and distribute the warm air throughout the seat.

In cooling mode the DC voltage input to the Peltier module is reversed and the heat sink is cooled. The same fan arrangement distributes the cool air radiated by the heat sink.

Thanks Jim... I wasn't sure just EXACTLY how it worked...:)

Posted Image

Sorry, I was describing my STS seats (ventilated); wonder which seats perform better as I like the way mine work.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

darn it . this thread is making me drool. not fair at all

The remote start system is also pretty cool...

If it is cold and bad outside when you use remote start, the HVAC system turns itself to HIGH and uses input from the outside temp readings and input from the Rain Sensing wiper system to control what it does.

If the temp is below freezing, it automatically directs all the air to the windshield and also turns on the rear defroster while at the same time turning on the outside heated mirrors.

It also automatically turns on the heated seats and the heated steering wheel... :)

After the car runs for 4 minutes, it heats the washer fluid and squirts it onto the windshield and turns on the wipers for a few swipes.

It will do that 4 times or until the windshield is clear... :)

That way when you get in the car, the car is warm, the seats are warm, the steering wheel is warm, the outside mirrors are clear, and the windshield and the back window are clear. :):)

I love it... :lol::yupi3ti:

Posted Image

Texas Jim and Jim D are (mostly) correct, and the ones in my 2008 work the same. I'm certain that the ones in my '99 STS were identical, at least I can (could) see the fan motor under both front seats, and they both feel the same to me in operation. I don't believe that the heat on the seats uses the same system, it would be too complicated. A simple heating element is usually sewn into the seat for the heat. The rear seats on my 2008 are heated as well, but not cooled, so that wouldn't make much sense if the same (Peltier) system already existed.

One little overlooked detail on these is the fact that there is an air filter on the intake side of the fan motor which might need to be cleaned or replaced periodically. At least I read someone's post long ago who said he had to clean the filter to restore effectiveness.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Texas Jim and Jim D are (mostly) correct, and the ones in my 2008 work the same. I'm certain that the ones in my '99 STS were identical, at least I can (could) see the fan motor under both front seats, and they both feel the same to me in operation. I don't believe that the heat on the seats uses the same system, it would be too complicated. A simple heating element is usually sewn into the seat for the heat. The rear seats on my 2008 are heated as well, but not cooled, so that wouldn't make much sense if the same (Peltier) system already existed.

One little overlooked detail on these is the fact that there is an air filter on the intake side of the fan motor which might need to be cleaned or replaced periodically.

At least I read someone's post long ago who said he had to clean the filter to restore effectiveness.

I am glad you mentioned that... I haven't cleaned mine in a couple of years.

I need to do that before summer gets here.

Posted Image

Archived