CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

brake valve question

rockfangd

I hope someone can help me with this one.

My 96 Deville uses rear brake proportioning valve

AC Delco 18018429. Proportioning valve, rear brake.

96 seemed to be the last year that style was used and in 97 the design for the valve changed

The 97 and up Deville uses

AC Delco 19244448 proportioning valve, rear brake. They are cheaper and install inline in both rear brake lines.

I was curious if I could use them in the place of the originals on my 96 Deville.

I started this thread as to not confuse my other thread. Thanks

Below is a picture of each valve.

post-12985-0-59381800-1390709925_thumb.j

post-12985-0-74907700-1390709950_thumb.j

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Without knowing the reason why the proportioning valves were changed, I would not be inclined to substitute them.

Why are you replacing the originals - were they damaged?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

the aluminum is too badly oxidized and I cannot reuse the one I have. Also I think there are supposed to be two, but I think previous owner removed one of them.

GM FAN FOREVER

Well. I know the 97 Deville, Seville, and Eldo uses the round style but 96 and back uses the block type. I figured maybe they changed the design in 97. the ebtcm is the same.

The only difference in location I see is that the block style is up front by the subframe, and the round style that started in 97, both are in the rear by the hoses to the rear calipers

GM FAN FOREVER

so here is something interesting. I was researching these valves and found the block style is listed for the e/k models from 1994-1996.

But the round valve style is listed for e/k models and many other GMs from 1991-1999 including the 1994-1996 e/k models. I need to look more into this.

See the round style ones are cheaper and easier to install because they go right inline with both rear lines

GM FAN FOREVER

You might want to confirm the correct part with a dealer. Are the valves near the rear brakes or the ABS modulator? Some of the GM cars had them directly off the master cylinder when there was a four port master cylinder.

I'd get the correct valves on there ASAP - if you have too much braking acction at the rear, it can cause loss of control during braking.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

see the block style is up front by the subframe on the rear brake line, the round is in the rear by the calipers.

Now like I said I only had one since I bought the car, I am assuming the previous owner never reinstalled one on the line that was replaced. so that is worse than having none. I will be getting them asap but for now I just need it to be driveable. worst case scenario I will replace them by spring. It stops much better with the new lines, no pull, very consistent

GM FAN FOREVER

I would just get the parts for the car (1996 Seville) by VIN. If the later replacements are round, so be it. If they hand you block aluminum, so be it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 4 years later...

Yes. The left rear is at the front IIRC, the RR is in the back.

97 Changed some things. Different valves also.

GM FAN FOREVER

• 1 year later...