CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dash light replacement bulbs

Seanmannino

Hey guys and gals, sorry it's been so long since I have been able to get back to the site and offer any help or any brain scratchers.... Anyhow, quick question. My lights on the DeVille dash for the heater and on the other side for the display buttons, a couple of them have died and I would like to replace them. I've still got the old cluster that I pulled from another DeVille and have figured out how to get the bulbs out but they all look pretty burned up. Does anyone have a clue of part numbers or who would have such a bulb? I've called the parts counter at several of the Cadillac Dealers here in Colorado but they have all said that GM has stopped making them and no one has a replacement other than a radio shops, and the couple of those I have called have no clue what I am talking about. I use these lights often because I drive in the early morning and would like them to work. So any clues? If needed I can post a photo of the one I have pulled out.

Thank you all a bunch!

Sean M.

1997 Cadillac DeVille

The key is to know the voltage. They are probably on the dimmed power, which are all 12 Volt bulbs, I believe. Do a web search on "grain-of-wheat bulbs" and you will turn up things like a bundle of 50 for $10 or less.

LEDs can be used but you must take into account the differences in how they operate. Typically, a small LED will need about 2 volts to begin current flowing through it, but voltage won't increase much after that as the current increases. So, you need a series resistor to limit the current through the LED. For, say 12 Volts and 10 mA current, the resistor is (12 V - 2 V)/(10 ma) = 10 KOhms. The polarity must be correct for the LED to light up. And, they don't dim the same way as incandescent bulbs.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

OK, given a search on "grain-of-wheat bulbs" I turned up bulk bulbs at Edmund Scientific,

http://www.scientificsonline.com/clear-grain-of-wheat-bulbs.html

The photo in that ad:

3081448_1.jpg

These are 100 12 Volt bulbs for about $50. In addition to automotive and industrial use, these bulbs are used in making those little lighted castles you buy for Christmas decorations and other things like that, and for hobbyists for model trains and other such that can use lights. Be careful about voltage, though; some hobbyist uses are for battery use and use bulbs for lower voltages.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Depending on the bulb - you can purchase a bulb at Radio Shack and solder it into place. I've done that with my '05 Deville steering wheel controls - GM wants to sell the whole switch assembly rather than just the bulbs. That sort of service parts practice irritates me to no end...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Exact replacements of those is going to be hard. I would try to use the 50-cent jobs to replace the bulbs on the circular substrates and repair the old ones.

Archived