CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Master Cylinder leak

omar

The master cylinder on my brothers 1991 Sedan Deville is leaking at the base on the wall. I plan to replace it with a used one. I have never done this but is there a seal that can be replaced to salvage the master cylinder? Is replacing the master cylinder with a used one a bad idea? Anyone with experience in replacing their master cylinder Help! :o Please give me some tips on what is the best thing to do and what procedures are best for bleeding after replacing the master cylinder. Thanks

My experience with other vehicles has been that rebuilt master cylinders are very inexpensive. I'm not sure I'd put the effort into a used one.

As far as a seal that can be replaced, there generally isn't one. The fluid you're seeing is likely blow-by from the piston.

As for bleeding the brakes, be sure to bench bleed the m/c before you put it on. It will save you from having to push alot of air through the lines.

If you don't already have a Haynes manual for this car, I'd pick one up. They're cheap and it will walk you through both the replacement and the bleeding. There may be specific things you have to do for this car - especially if you're dealing with ABS.

Get a huge bottle of brake fluid - or 2. You'll not only be bleeding the lines, but replacing all of the brake fluid by the time you're done. Watch the fluid level in the m/c while you're bleeding - don't let it run dry or you'll be pumping air into the lines. And be patient - it takes me forever to get all the dang air bubbles out of the lines.

If you don't already have a Haynes manual for this car, I'd pick one up. They're cheap and it will walk you through both the replacement and the bleeding. There may be specific things you have to do for this car - especially if you're dealing with ABS.

Neither Chilton nor Haynes can replace the Factory Service Manual and you can get one very chep on ebay.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived