CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

93 Sixty Special Turn Signal Issues

I've been fighting a strange issue with my left turn signal. It was intermittently working and then it just quit, so I figured it was the flasher. I replaced the flasher and I hear it working, but only the rear turn signal is flashing, not the front and there is still no indicator lighting up on the dash. I thought maybe it was the bulb, so I replaced the bulb, but that wasn't it either. I know there is proper ground and power going there because when I turn the 4-ways on, the bulb works. I'm at a loss on where to go next. Any ideas?

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

Is this the 1993 Sixty Special or the 2004 Deville DTS?

I'm going to assume that it's the 1993 because you didn't mention the turn signal indicator on the outside rearview mirror.

The only information that I have is from the 1997 FSM for the E/K platform. The Sixty Special is a different platform, and the schematics for the Sixty Special and the E/K platform (Eldorado, Seville, Deville) are different. However, the turn signal switch may be similar. The 1997 FSM, page 8A-110-12, shows the FLASH/HAZARD SWITCH ASSEMBLY with a separate switch output for the left turn switch for the left front turn signal and dashboard indicator. This feeds a circuit on page 8A-110-14 showing this switch output feeding a signal to the IPC for the indicator light and the left hand front turn signal lamps. If this is similar to the circuit in the 1993 Sixty Special, you have a bad switch in the TURN/HAZARD SWITCH ASSEMBLY in the steering column.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Sorry about that, I put that is was in regards to the sixty special in the title, but not in the topic itself.

From what your FSM says, it sounds like it fits the bill. Do you have to pull the steering wheel? I'm assuming you do.

-Dusty-

It could be the turn signal switch is going bad. when you turn it in the direction that it doesnt work properly, pull the stalk slightly toward you and see if it works properly,, if it does the TSS is bad. they get worn out or dry overtime and the contacts internal dont have good connection

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

At this time we need someone who had changed the TSS on a 1993 Sixty Special (or equivalent platform) and/or has a FSM that covers it explicitly. I expect that you will have to disable the air bags, pull the steering wheel, disconnect the "spool" that carries wires to and from the steering wheel, if any, then disassemble the top ring of the steering column to extract the TSS. The part seems to be a common one. I see it for about $40 from GMPartsDirect and Rock Auto.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The '93 will be using the classic GM Saginaw steering column used in GM vehicles for eons.

If the turn signal switch has to be replaced...the air bag...wheel...sir clock spring...lock plate...all have to come off. Each step utilizing a specific tool.

post-2-0-33793100-1389724495_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little nervous about fiddling with the air bag. Do I have to disable the airbag or can I just unhook the battery to disable it?

-Dusty-

The procedure in the shop manual states to disconnect the negative battery cable, then to unplug the yellow airbag connector under the dash.

When working around the airbag, try to keep it pointed away from you and wear safety glasses.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived