CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Windshield washer heater disable

So there's been this recall on my '08 DTS for the windshield washer heater. I've talked to friends who said that the recall was to merely disable the windshield washer heater. I had decided to skip it and just continue using the washer heater.

Anyway, I took the caddy in to a GM dealership for the water pump replacement and after getting the car back, the washer heater does nothing. I assume that they took it upon themselves to perform that recall. Does anyone know how to re-enable this?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

So there's been this recall on my '08 DTS for the windshield washer heater. I've talked to friends who said that the recall was to merely disable the windshield washer heater. I had decided to skip it and just continue using the washer heater.

Anyway, I took the caddy in to a GM dealership for the water pump replacement and after getting the car back, the washer heater does nothing. I assume that they took it upon themselves to perform that recall. Does anyone know how to re-enable this?

Yep... go to Alpha Therm and order this...

It is plug and play and pretty easy to install.

20120929_152153.jpg

Posted Image

I just looked in the vicinity of your photo(which I assume is where the factory one would be) and this is what I see.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/jgray1978/20140111_093907_zpsf02c9650.jpg

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Looks like they cut your wires off flush....

I had ordered mine before I took it in for the recall and an oil change.

I left the box in the front passengers seat with a $20 dollar bill laying on top of the box...

When I got the car back, the $20 was gone and the AlphaTherm was installed... LOL

Here are a couple of videos that may help you...

Posted Image

So my question is...Was the dealership service department obligated to remove that or did they just take it upon themselves to do so? The car is out of warranty and was in for an unrelated repair (water pump replacement) of which I paid for being that it was not warranty.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

From the videos it looks like this Alphatherm device runs constantly. How will this tie into the Caddy so that when I press the switch on the turnsignal stalk it will function as factory(i.e. DIC messages, etc)?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

From the videos it looks like this Alphatherm device runs constantly. How will this tie into the Caddy so that when I press the switch on the turnsignal stalk it will function as factory(i.e. DIC messages, etc)?

The controls on the turn signal will work just like they always did.

The messages on the dash will also be the same...

It is a plug and play replacement for the factory unit...

Mine has been installed for about two and a half years.... Been flawless so far...

Posted Image

So my question is...Was the dealership service department obligated to remove that or did they just take it upon themselves to do so? The car is out of warranty and was in for an unrelated repair (water pump replacement) of which I paid for being that it was not warranty.

In my opinion, they SHOULD NOT HAVE did that without informing you of what they were doing.

By the way... you will be getting a $100 dollar check from Cadillac since the recall was done to your car.

Posted Image

So it only hooks up with 2 wires (presumably a positive and a negative) and the car knows when it's warming up (Pending) and when it's ready (starts washing)?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

So it only hooks up with 2 wires (presumably a positive and a negative) and the car knows when it's warming up (Pending) and when it's ready (starts washing)?

Yep, or at least that's the way mine works.

It works just exactly like the original one did.

Posted Image

So is anyone familiar with dealerships and recalls? Is the dealership obligated to perform the recall if they get their hands on a car even if it's out of warranty and not authorized by the customer?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

So is anyone familiar with dealerships and recalls? Is the dealership obligated to perform the recall if they get their hands on a car even if it's out of warranty and not authorized by the customer?

I put off the recall on mine for over 3 years....

Every time I would take it in, for whatever reason, they would ask me if I wanted the recall done... I would say "NO"... they would say OK and leave it alone.

I would have been WAY BEYOND TICKED OFF if they had did it without asking me.

I would have thrown a wall eyed fit... :(:(

Before it ended I would have probably been banned from the dealership or calling someone to bring bail money.

Posted Image

I am sorry but if Anyone did anything on one of my vehicles without me knowing or me giving permission I would be furious and I would expect them to repair it at their expense. How do they know you didnt have it replaced? I would not be happy at all. They didnt note it or say anything to you about it?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I am sorry but if Anyone did anything on one of my vehicles without me knowing or me giving permission I would be furious and I would expect them to repair it at their expense. How do they know you didnt have it replaced? I would not be happy at all. They didnt note it or say anything to you about it?

No, they did not notate or mention it.

This has been a stressful ordeal. I had the car towed in to the only GM dealer in town which was a Chevy dealer. The water pump was seized. They broke off one of the riser tubes on the intake and claimed that it came in like that. It did not as I was the one who worked on it before having it towed. I had no proof though so I had to pay for them to replace the intake. Here's the odd twist. When we get the car back, the from "Tulsa Scottish Rite" vanity plate is gone. The screws were reinstalled but the vanity plate was gone. I couldn't figure out why until a friend of mine proposed that they were joy riding in the car and did not want it so easily noticeable.

I have posted a review on Facebook about this and my wife has brought it up to the owner (who she went to school with) and not a word back. NOTHING.

So I am sure that this is something that I am just going to have to deal with.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

#08048: Product Safety - Heated Windshield Washer Module Short Circuit-Add Wire Harness - (Sep 8, 2008)

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2006-2008 model year Buick Lucerne; Cadillac DTS; HUMMER H2 vehicles; 2007-2008 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL; Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles; and 2008 model year Buick Enclave vehicles equipped with a heated washer fluid system. A short circuit on the printed circuit board for the washer fluid heater may overheat the control-circuit ground wire. This may cause other electrical malfunctions, create an odor, or cause smoke. In rare cases, it may cause a fire.

Correction
When parts are available in November 2008, dealers/retailers are to install a wire harness with an in-line fuse. Until parts become available in November, dealers/retailers are to remove the heated windshield washer fuse on vehicles being prepared for delivery to a customer. If a customer brings their vehicle into the dealership/facility expressing concern, dealers/retailers are to remove the heated windshield washer fuse. Customers are to bring their vehicle back in November to have the wire harness installed.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2006-2008 model year Buick Lucerne; Cadillac DTS; HUMMER H2 vehicle; 2007-2008 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL; Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles; and 2008 model year Buick Enclave vehicles equipped with a heated washer fluid system and built within these VIN breakpoints:

#08048: Product Safety - Heated Windshield Washer Module Short Circuit-Add Wire Harness - (Sep 8, 2008)

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2006-2008 model year Buick Lucerne; Cadillac DTS; HUMMER H2 vehicles; 2007-2008 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL; Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles; and 2008 model year Buick Enclave vehicles equipped with a heated washer fluid system. A short circuit on the printed circuit board for the washer fluid heater may overheat the control-circuit ground wire. This may cause other electrical malfunctions, create an odor, or cause smoke. In rare cases, it may cause a fire.

Correction

When parts are available in November 2008, dealers/retailers are to install a wire harness with an in-line fuse. Until parts become available in November, dealers/retailers are to remove the heated windshield washer fuse on vehicles being prepared for delivery to a customer. If a customer brings their vehicle into the dealership/facility expressing concern, dealers/retailers are to remove the heated windshield washer fuse. Customers are to bring their vehicle back in November to have the wire harness installed.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2006-2008 model year Buick Lucerne; Cadillac DTS; HUMMER H2 vehicle; 2007-2008 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL; Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles; and 2008 model year Buick Enclave vehicles equipped with a heated washer fluid system and built within these VIN breakpoints:

So this means that it was theft?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Correction

Vehicles Involved

So this means that it was theft?

I "THINK" (and I don't do that real well) that the recall was revised at a later date to just remove it ... and that nullified the earlier one that said to put an inline fuse in it.

I vaguely remember getting a notice to bring it in for the inline fuse, which I didn't do.

Then a few months later I got a letter telling me to take it in and they would remove the heated washer unit and pay me 100 dollars for the loss of use of the heated washer fluid.

Posted Image

Well, I went back to the dealership in person and got into it with the service manager. He claims that it is federally mandated that recalls be performed if they have possession of the vehicle. He is looking in to cutting me the $100 check.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Well, I went back to the dealership in person and got into it with the service manager.

He claims that it is federally mandated that recalls be performed if they have possession of the vehicle.

He is looking in to cutting me the $100 check.

:bsmeter:

Mine was probably at the dealer AT LEAST a dozen times before I told them to do it.

The first recall came out in 2008 and I only had it done a couple of years ago...at most... and all of my service is done at the dealer.

Posted Image

Archived