CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission Not Changing Gear

AUSTINCTS1

At the last red light before getting to work this morning, my car didn't change to second gear. It was fine all morning prior to this. I pulled over, turned off and on the car, and tested it around the block. Seemed to work fine.

First, any idea what could have caused this? Is it possible this was a one time event? It is 20 degrees in Austin this morning.

Second, what should I do if this occurs on my way home this afternoon? Will it eventually change gears on the highway, or should I pull over and get it towed?

If it does it again, I will take it to the shop. Hoping this was a one time thing.

Thanks for any comments.

If you have OnStar call them from the office (have your PIN and pass phrase handy) and get the OBD codes. If not, watch for any lights or notices on the dashboard if it happens again.

On an older car (1997 Eldorado), I found that if the VSS drops out the speedometer will stay at zero and the transmission will stay in low gear up to a fairly high RPM, then it will shift but the shift will be rough. Snow or salt ice thrown up from the road may cause the VSS to malfunction for a few minutes. This is just a wild guess. The OBD codes will tell the tale. If the problem continues and you don't have OnStar, you will need to figure out how to read the OBD codes.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks Jim. I called Onstar and they told me I needed to have the car on. So I took it on a test run, and had them run an on demand diagnostic check. Everything was fine and the car ran like a Champ. Hopefully, it was a one-time thing. Any idea what could have caused this, if indeed it was a one-time thing? Again thanks for your comments.

Check the fluid level, (warm) and I think in gear? With the emergency brake on. Also monitor your voltage. Could have been low where the solenoid didn't have the volts/current to engage. I don't believe in a fluke as much as it's the start of something

Just checked the manual, and it says "It is not necessary to check the transmission fluid level"..a leak is the only reason for fluid loss." Assuming this is not exactly correct, please confirm the following (it's been a while since I've check and filled transmission fluid):

Fluid should be checked when car is hot.

Car should be on, in park.

If fluid is low, put fluid in the shaft where the dip stick is at.

Finally, I'm in the office still, but I'm assuming that the dip stick is easily accessible on the 2007 CTS.

Thanks.

I don't know about the 2007 CTS, but some of the newer cars do not have a dipstick or an easy way to add fluid.

You check the fluid level by removing a plug on the side of the transmission......

Posted Image

well..no kidding- I thought maybe it would evaporate :glare:

Just checked the manual, and it says "It is not necessary to check the transmission fluid level"..a leak is the only reason for fluid loss." Assuming this is not exactly correct, please confirm the following (it's been a while since I've check and filled transmission fluid)

Archived