CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Windshield replacement

CANADIANCADDY

When one replaces a heated windshield with a regular one do you need to do anything special.

I know to run the heated windshield it drew a awful lot of power and so to be on the safe side should I try to locate and remove the fuse so in case I accidentally turn on the switch.

Could this change or the removal of the switch cause an error message on the DIC?

You won't have to remove the fuse or disable the switch. The heated w/s has a pigtail that plugs into a socket. I don't know how the dag gone computer will like a removed fuse. If a short should happen, the fuse will blow, so I don't see where you have any worry. As insruance, you might ask about blocking the socket with a cap.

My Brother-in-law repairs windshields for a living. He says to ONLY use a factory replacement windshield. The aftermarket versions are not as strong and the windshield strength is part of the body strength in a crash.

Steve

Related to accidents...some of it is a structure kind of thing. Many airbag systems use the windshield as a directional tool for the passenger airbag. Many windshields have to be replaced after a deployment.

This link shows pretty much the directional tool part.....

http://www.micro-sys.com/airbag_anim.htm

I should also add....the type of windshield sealer is also critcal. Use the wrong stuff and....well....you may be eating the dashboard.

I'm a firm beliver in OEM w/s, and I wouldn't install an aftermarket one. The thing is that the aftermarket w/s matches or exceeds OEM in all aspects. Federal law demands that all automotive glass sold in North America meet ANSI (American National Safety Institute) standards. So there is a good chance that these w/s are superior to OEM. The only thing that makes them inferior is the logo. When you have made in Anywhere But The United States--and sometimes in North America as LSI (Leer Sigler Inc ake Safelite)--stamped in bold letters, it says that the car has aftermarket replacment parts. Unlike body parts that are hidden by paint, this screams loudly at the top of its lungs.

I'd go with the OEM, but it may be a problem, and it may be out of your hands. Insurance and repair indsutries started getting married in the early 90's. As a result, both of these most crooked industries are in kahoots with each other. Now a days, you call your insruance company, and bang! You got a glassman hammering on your door, ready to replace your w/s. It goes both ways: Call the glass company, and bang! You insruance company has approve the repair, and they'll be at your house in less than 90 minutes.

If you look in the fine print of your insurance policy, you may find verbage that translates that the insruance company can use non-OEM parts on your car. If it says so, you're sol about demanding an OEM sheild because you signed a binding contract.

A better way to state it is to ask for an OEM sheild. An OEM will have the LOF (Libby Owens Ford) logo. I haven't seen one for a long time, but PPG (Pittsburg Plate Glass) has also sold glass to GM, and years ago, some plants used LOF and others used PPG. If they're going to use aftermarket glass, I'd tell the insruance company that I want an LOF. I assume that it's a Canidian insurance company, so remind them that LOF is a Canadian product, so why the hell would you guys want to send your hard earned money outside of your country?

Archived