CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water pump replacement on '08 DTS

Has anyone been down this road before? Is it fairly straight forward? The pulley on the camshaft will need replacement as it is severely damaged. I am aware to use a P/S pulley puller or risk damaging the camshaft. Anything else that I should be worried about? Do I need to get a gasket or just a tube of Permatex? Does it need a gasket and Permatex?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

The pump cover gasket is a bell shaped o-ring. Some say it's reusable but I'd get a new one. You will need the water pump removal installation tool. Sometimes the pump is corroded in place and you may need to use an impact wrench to loosen the pump. The pump is removed by turning CLOCKWISE. Just the opposite of what most are used to.

I'd recommend the OEM pump too.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

OEM pump as in go to the dealer and buy the pump?

Thanks for the note on turning it clockwise. I would have been stuck on that. I do have air so I'll start the impact on 1 try to loosen it. I have figured that it just bolted on.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

OEM pump as in go to the dealer and buy the pump?

Thanks for the note on turning it clockwise. I would have been stuck on that. I do have air so I'll start the impact on 1 try to loosen it. I have figured that it just bolted on.

OEM would be AC Delco OES line which is the same as the dealer would install. I buy AC Delco parts through a local distributor for less than aftermarket parts at the local parts store for most of the time.

The design must have changed to more of a traditional pump. I gave you some wrong information. On the older Northstars, the pump was removed and installed with a special socket. That is not required in your case.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Oh my. More in depth than I was anticipating. Does anyone have a parts list with part numbers of what I need to get(presumably the items at the end of the second video)?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Ok, I'm ordering up the parts now and will pick them up. Should I replace the belt tensioner assembly or can I skip that? It's almost $60 that could go towards something else being that it's the Christmas season.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Ok, I'm ordering up the parts now and will pick them up. Should I replace the belt tensioner assembly or can I skip that? It's almost $60 that could go towards something else being that it's the Christmas season.

Check the bearing - if the bearing is OK (not growling and not free-spinning), you can probably skip replacing the tensioner. The tensioner bearing can't be replaced separately since the pulley portion is overmolded onto it BUT, if it freely spins, you can take a small screw driver and gently pry out the seal and work some bearing grease into the bearing and replace the seal.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

5 1/2 hours into this job and I have yet to get the water pump and housing off. I'd just assume send the car to the scrap yard than to ever do this again.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

His videos are lacking something. I have removed all of the nuts and bolts that he specified and the housing does not come off. It is still held firmly to the block. No idea what is holding it either.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Not sure why GM went back to a traditional water pump on the Northstar. The cartridge style water pump seemed to work fine for the application....turned a hour job into a day job...go figure. It may now be the hardest water pump on the market to service.

Anyway, it appears the crossover pipe has to come off. I attached a pic from the service manual that may help.

I would almost be tempted to replace the crossover with the older style.

post-2-0-89961100-1387059851_thumb.jpg

Not sure why GM went back to a traditional water pump on the Northstar. The cartridge style water pump seemed to work fine for the application....turned a hour job into a day job...go figure. It may now be the hardest water pump on the market to service.

Anyway, it appears the crossover pipe has to come off. I attached a pic from the service manual that may help.

I would almost be tempted to replace the crossover with the older style.

Thanks Logan. The bottom two in the rear where the ones that he missed in his video. I don't see how they could be loosened without separating the motor from the tranny.

Everything is thrown in the trunk now and the car will be towed to the dealership. :(

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I would also like to hear more on that. I also note the video shows 06? maybe they made a change by 2008? Sorry it didnt work out and hope you have luck with the dealer

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Dealer called. Said that the intake is broken as well. Gotta love it!

How can the intake get broken ???

The tube that comes up presumably for crank case gases was broken in two places. I suspect that the dealership did this to generate more money but I have no way of proving it so whatever. I have been in discussions with Cadillac Customer Care and have brought this to their attention but asked that they not confront anyone over it until I get my car back from their possession.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

The tube that comes up presumably for crank case gases was broken in two places. I suspect that the dealership did this to generate more money but I have no way of proving it so whatever. I have been in discussions with Cadillac Customer Care and have brought this to their attention but asked that they not confront anyone over it until I get my car back from their possession.

I think you would have noticed it broken before you took it to the dealer, if in fact it WAS broken...

After all, you had been under the hood for a number of hours...

Good luck on getting it all worked out...

Posted Image

I think you would have noticed it broken before you took it to the dealer, if in fact it WAS broken...

Yes. I know that it was intact when I buttoned it back up and had it towed in...But how do I prove that? I have been working under the hood so it's their word against mine. :/

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Yes. I know that it was intact when I buttoned it back up and had it towed in...But how do I prove that? I have been working under the hood so it's their word against mine. :/

And since they have your car and you can't get it back till you pay the bill... you are probably screwed on this one.

Did you take any pictures while you were working on it ??

Posted Image

And since they have your car and you can't get it back till you pay the bill... you are probably screwed on this one.

Nope. They did call today and said that they found a used intake and my bill would is down to $931. Considering that there are no moving parts that I am aware of, I said ok.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Nope. They did call today and said that they found a used intake and my bill would is down to $931. Considering that there are no moving parts that I am aware of, I said ok.

What was the bill gonna be with the NEW intake ??

Posted Image

FYI...Looking at the GM service manual...2004 and 2005 model year engines still used the older style cartridge water pump. 2006 shows the new style water pump.

Archived