CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Long Cranking, Hard Starting HELP!

Good evening to all!

I am experiencing a worsening problem which involves a long crank time at start-up. This occurs almost every other start up, causing the crank time to increase to 6 or 8 seconds.. ouch! The car nomrally cranks 1 second...It does not appear to be limited to cold, warm, or hot start ups. I recently noticed a slight sticking of the throttle on startup, so I cleaned the butterfly and throttle body, as well as possible, with 3m cleaner made for this. It did not aliviate the problem. I have the following DTC's...

DDM C1225 History EBTCM Internal Malfunction

P1611 History Loss CVRTD Serial Data

U1255 History Class 2 Internalization Error

P0442 History EVAP System Small Leak Detected

Any thoughts or direction would be greatly appreciated... The cold is getting to Ohio, and I would like to clear this up ASAP...

Thank you in advance for your help!

Ohio Jim

KHE,

The driveability is perfect. The car never stumbles. Would the fuel pressure not exhibit a problem at full throttle? I thought it would be related to one of the serial data problems in the codes. When my '97 Deville had sending unit issue, the car would idle all day, but not take any throttle, that's why I did not suspect it. I will go after the fuel pressure since you suggest it and let you know.

Thank you for your reply!

Ohio Jim

I'd agree if fuel pressure was an issue it would manifest itself at full throttle but it can't hurt to check it - even to rule it out.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KHE,

Well working 75 hours a week kills anytime I have to work on the car, so I have not had time to work on the long crank time. Sunday, being my day off, greeted me on the highway with a low coolant warning! I made it to an off ramp and found the coolant about 3/4 gallon low. I had been smelling coolant lately, and determined to find the cause, replaced the overflow tank cap last Wednesday. it had minute cracks which hissed when the car was shut off. Haven't smelled the coolant for four days, so I thought I was in the clear. No such luck! Found the car to be leaking under the water pump, someplace. I added 3/4 gallon of half frozen distailled water and drove 10 miles to the nearest Wally World... bought two gallons of Dexcool, added a quart and was off. Ended up going 185 miles total and added about another 3/4 gallon. Last night I found the telltale signs of leakage along the lower radiator hose.. I tightened the clamp slightly and went to bed. This morning I drove the Deville instead. This afternoon, while driving the Seville to work, my wife called with a flat in the Deville! I turned around and drove 25 miles the other way to pick up the grandchildren from school, then met the wife and changed the flat. Went to work with no low coolant light, yet. I will check the coolant tonight before I leave, and hope that was the leak...loose hose.. what's the chances??? I plan to check the fuel pump as soon as I get time... I will let you know. Is the pressure supposed to be in the 70 pound range? I cannot remmeber..

Thanks again,

Ohio Jim

Texas Jim,

Thanks for the update! I just checked my coolant, and it appears I did not lose any today, after about 60 miles. I'm sure I'm not out of the woods yet, but maybe a little luck will get me through the next few days. I will order new hose from Rock Auto.

Ohio Jim

Could the water pump be leaking out the weep hole? You'll need a mirror to look under there to see it. You're on the right track fixing the cooling system leaks.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KHE,

Thanks for the tip. Tried that and found what looked like dried coolant on undeside of lower radiator hose. Thightened the clamp, and I think I got it... Will order new hoses from Rock Auto so I can freeze my hands off over Christmas break replacing what I should have done when it was 'too' warm in the summer.. my bad..

Ohio Jim

regarding the original post I would check your FPR. (fuel pressure regulator) do a search and you should find alot on it

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 2 weeks later...

Archived