CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coolant tabs

BUICK11

What is the last year to use the GM sealant tabs in the Northstar?

I use to use them in my 1999 and 2001.

Recently purchased a 2011 DTS and do not see a tag under the hood recommending to install tabs when servicing the cooling system.

Thanks

Not absolutely positive but I think the early 2000s, they quit specifying them. You can still use them though.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

What is the last year to use the GM sealant tabs in the Northstar?

I use to use them in my 1999 and 2001.

Recently purchased a 2011 DTS and do not see a tag under the hood recommending to install tabs when servicing the cooling system.

Thanks

:nopicssmiley::nopicssmiley:

Posted Image

lol. I dont know why they stopped using them and recommending them, especially with most everything being aluminum. I use them in both of my cadillacs but not in my truck. MY truck is all cast iron so I dont worryabout it.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

lol. I dont know why they stopped using them and recommending them, especially with most everything being aluminum. I use them in both of my cadillacs but not in my truck. MY truck is all cast iron so I dont worryabout it.

Advances in casting processes reduced the porosity which made the tabs necessary. Also, owners complained that the tabs made the coolant look dirty when they checked the surge tank.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

IMO, A problem with the cooling tabs is that they eventually globulate together into a rubbery substance, float around, build up some other materials, then find their way into something like the purge line. I just checked my surge tank, and there is a coating of a waxy material all in there. I changed my coolant about 3 times in my '96, and every time I added in 2 packages of powder into the radiator hose.

Archived