CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Caddyinfo Cadillac Chat 2013-10-31

Cadillac Jim

OK, guys, here we are.  Bruce doesn't seem to be on tonight so I'm going to open a Google+ Hangout.  If Texas Jim joins in, we will have a live video right here, which will morph to a YouTube embedded video when we are done.

Topics:  Anything goes tonight, so long as it's Cadillac related and interesting to others.  I'm going to raise the topic of tires, because I plan to get new tires before the snow comes.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I've expressed my pleasure at owning and driving this nice old '98 deVille d'elegance...but any time you buy a used vehicle, you're entering a kind

of crapshoot. I have no real complaints, apart from being faced with a set of tires almost immediately after buying the car, then putting in four

coils to return it to proper -- and great -- running order.

But as I've said, it's a crapshoot. So just last week I had to part with almost seven hundred bucks. Fuel pump packed it in. No warning that I

saw...just drove it thirty minutes before and suddenly I'm stranded with a car that won't start. Used the OBD to point toward the problem, but

sorta figured it out myself.

Until '95, I'm told, you could just replace the pump. Now it's a "fuel pump assembly" at a somewhat higher price. And despite the fuel pump

being external to the fuel tank, you do have to drop the tank for this repair.

Ah, well...she's running like a champ again, and I'm comfortable in knowing I probably won't be faced with this particular issue again, since

it included the sensor and new filter.

Also found the lower front engine mount is broken...a thing my mechanic says I can probably ignore for the present, since my days of

trying to impress women by burning out and such are long behind me. I don't baby the car...but I'm a more conservative driver than I

was in my earlier years. That dogbone top support seems to hold everything as it should...but one day in the not-too-distant future, I'll

get that mount taken care of as well.

And a Happy All Hallow's Eve to you!

Glad you got the fuel pump fixed up; how much did the mechanic think the parts and labor were for the motor mount fix?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

...about two and a half, off the top of his head. Soon after that, a pal watched the engine as I revved it a bit. He's a pretty fair

shadetree mechanic, and said the engine movement wasn't significant. Still, it's something I'll taken care of pretty soon.

As long as the dog bones are good and tight and the rear motor support is good, you can tolerate a loose front motor support. But you should use this slack to plan the repair, not ignore it indefinitely, because having a loose front motor mount puts all the stress on the dog bones. Being easy on the car is a good idea. For example, after you start the engine, let it run for a few seconds and the idle speed to drop before you shift in to Reverse or Drive.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I watched part of the webcast... when talking about electric cars and extending their range via battery swap, I thought of "Better Place". It's a company with a network of charging stations and battery swap stations set up in (I believe) Israel and parts of Australia.

Pretty interesting concept - good presentation by the founder at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nxt2bCHKqM . Unfortunately, the company went bankrupt earlier this year but it's a very interesting concept.... you buy the car but rent the battery.

-Chris

Archived