CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 sts Complete Loss Of Power- No Codes

ItsAllHype

You said this in your first post >> The car will bog down until I let the gas pedal out. <<

Then what happens after you let the gas pedal out? Clarify what you mean by let the gas pedal out, take your foot off the gas?

Have you used injector cleaner and if you have how often and which brand? Have you checked the fuel pressure? how long does the problem continue for? It would be great if we could know the fuel pump pressure when the problem happens. I would suggest that GM consider putting a real-time fuel pump pressure read out in the DIC for diagnostic purposes that would be useful.

Does anyone know if fuel pressure can be read in real time digitally with an electronic sender instead of analog? I really would not want 50 psi of fuel attached to a guage in the cabin :blink::blink::blink::lol:

Couldn't the honeycombs in the CAT break up and with just the right conditions plug up the exhaust intermittently. Take a rubber mallet and smack the Cat and see if it rattles. If it does it needs replaced.

...Does anyone know if fuel pressure can be read in real time digitally with an electronic sender instead of analog? I really would not want 50 psi of fuel attached to a guage in the cabin :blink::blink::blink::lol:

Yes, it can be read. All you need is a remote sensor and local "reader". :D

In reality, 50PSI of fuel is not really dangerous. The fuel is almost not squeezable/extendable. That’s why 30PSI of air in a tire under you is much more dangerous.

I bet the problem is fuel delivery related.

Does anyone know if fuel pressure can be read in real time digitally with an electronic sender instead of analog? I really would not want 50 psi of fuel attached to a guage in the cabin :blink::blink::blink::lol:

It can but it is much easier to see relative movement on an analog gage vs. a digital readout. Also, you don't need the gage inside the car - just duct tape it to the windshield for driveability tests.

Most testers come with a 12" hose which is useless. I modified mine for less than $7 - it now has 4 feet of high pressure fuel injection hose so it is long enough to reach the windshield while connected to the fuel rail.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Does anyone know if fuel pressure can be read in real time digitally with an electronic sender instead of analog?  I really would not want  50 psi of fuel attached to a guage in the cabin  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :lol:

It can but it is much easier to see relative movement on an analog gage vs. a digital readout. Also, you don't need the gage inside the car - just duct tape it to the windshield for driveability tests.

Most testers come with a 12" hose which is useless. I modified mine for less than $7 - it now has 4 feet of high pressure fuel injection hose so it is long enough to reach the windshield while connected to the fuel rail.

I agree and when I get a chance I am going to modify my fuel pressure gauge so that I can tape it to the windshield. The problem in this instance is that this fellows problem is intermittant and I was thinking that keeping a gauge taped to his windshield could be a problem.

I have done a little research and found that digital fuel pressure gauges are available and I may install one on my next NS if only in the glove compartment.

Like KHE noticed, it's much easier to see movement on an analog gage vs. a digital readout. That's bevause you don't want actually to know if it's 42 or 43PSI. You want to know how it changes and how deep. And the second, because the digital gages have time gap between the measures, it's easy to miss some intermittent changes too.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: I had the fuel pump changed at the dealer after I observed the pressure drop down to 20PSI causing the car to run really bad in the driveway. My only concern is that the fuel gauge is still fluttering between 42 and 43. I even took the gauge off and I could still feel the pulsing in the fuel rail. I posted this question in the board also, but I thought I would mention it again here.

UPDATE: I had the fuel pump changed at the dealer after I observed the pressure drop down to 20PSI causing the car to run really bad in the driveway. My only concern is that the fuel gauge is still fluttering between 42 and 43. I even took the gauge off and I could still feel the pulsing in the fuel rail. I posted this question in the board also, but I thought I would mention it again here.

Don't worry about the flutter mine does that also, 43 to 46..., 42 to 43 is hardly fluttering at all, don't give it a second thought!

You may have stated this already this is a long thread, did you have the fuel rail replaced on the recall? Make sure your fuel rail is tight, my 96 has four studs, snug them down (10 mm deep socket or wrench), I don't see how you could feel anything, you are probably feeling the injectors doing their thing....

• 2 years later...

Final Update. For anyone who has had this problem. For me it turned out to be a bad injector in the #2 cyllinder. I was able to see which injector was dumping fuel into the cyllinder by checking the condition of the plugs. #2 plug looked a lot worse than the other plugs. I hope this helps someone else with a similar problem.

Final Update. For anyone who has had this problem. For me it turned out to be a bad injector in the #2 cyllinder. I was able to see which injector was dumping fuel into the cyllinder by checking the condition of the plugs. #2 plug looked a lot worse than the other plugs. I hope this helps someone else with a similar problem.

Well, as problem solvers go, you are certainly one of the more patient ones.

I couldn't live with a problem like that for two and a half weeks, never mind two and a half years.

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Accolades for posting the solution. Thanks for thinking about the rest of us. ;)

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived