CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

TSB needed for whine in transmission

Can anyone post a copy of a TSB isued in Oct. 2005 regarding buzz/whine in the transmission. My '97 Seville recently began to emit a whine that is directly proportional to engine RPM. It only occurs when the engine is cold, is intermittent and only lasts for a few seconds. I have checked all the tensioner/idler bearings and they are OK. Thanks!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

#PIP3594: Click Noise when Braking or on Coast Down; Buzz Noise when Reverse Engaged; Tick Noise during 2-3, 3-2 Shifts - keywords 4T80E accumulator clip cold cover decelerate down MH1 pin side upshift - (Oct 20, 2005)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Customers may comment on any of the following conditions; click noise when Braking or on coast down; buzz noise cold when reverse is engaged; or tick noise during 2-3 or 3-2 shifts. This may be a broken or missing 2-3 accumulator pin E-clip. Use chassis ears clipped to the transmission side cover. If noise is present, remove side cover per SI instructions and inspect the 2-3 accumulator pin for the presence of an E clip to retain the pin.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the E-clip is missing, replace the E- clip and 2-3 accumulator pin. Valve body replacement should not be required if the accumulator housing is not damaged.

E-clip. Item #349 P/N 9413349 (10 per bag) and 2-3 Accumulator Piston Pin 8684828

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Thanks Logan. I'm not sure if that is the issue with my car - it has a whine only when cold and it increases/decreases with engine RPM. I'll use the bulleting and make a note where the noise occurs relative to the transmission shifts, etc. to see if this may be the cause. If I need to pull the side cover, I might as well pull the transmission to fix the P0741 code also.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Found another one dated October 2005.

#05-07-30-029: 4T80-E Automatic Transaxle Buzz Noise in Reverse Cold and/or Deceleration and/or 3-2 Downshift (Inspect/Replace Accumulator Retaining Ring/Clip) - (Oct 26, 2005)

Some customers may comment on a buzz noise from the engine compartment area in reverse when the vehicle is cold and/or during deceleration, usually during a 3-2 downshift.

Cause
It is possible that an accumulator ring (retaining clip) (349) maybe dislodged, broken, missing and/or cracked.

Correction
Using chassis ears, or the equivalent, determine if the noise source is in the side cover or the lower pan.

Thanks for the update. I am trying to locate some chassis ears so I can pinpoint the problem. I have a feeling I am going to have to pull the transmission...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Use a battery powered karoke mike, baby monitor, or such for one-time DIY use. Steelman has a pro mechanic's single chassis ear for under $100 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Achassis%20ears

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I believe the noise is coming from the RH side of the engine compartment which points to an accessory on the serpentine belt path. I won't have time to check it out until the weekend.

The Steelman units can be purchased on ebay for around $100 for the 6-channel wired system. The wireless version is about double. This is something that I could use again.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 4 weeks later...

Update: The car was making the noise when idling in Park so I grabbed my mechanic's stethoscope and the noise is loudest when I touch the probe to the transmission side cover...

Looks like I'm going to be doing some transmission repair fairly soon. At least I can fix the P0741 issue while it is out of the car. I'm not sure if I want to tackle this repair or take it to a transmission shop. I may pull the transmission myself and take it to the shop if they knock the price down enough to make it worth the work.

I'm not sure how the e-clip would become dislodged from the 2-3 accumulator pin and if the casue was not identified/corrected, it will surely happen again.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

After doing some additional investigation, I believe the "whine" noise is coming from the trans. fluid oil pump so it is not a missing e-clip or broken 2-3 accumulator pin as the bulletins describe.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 6 months later...

#04-07-30-003: Whine/Hum Noise From Automatic Transaxle Between 20 mph - 50 mph (32-80 km/h) with Light Throttle Applications (Replace Final Drive Assembly Kit) - (Jan 21, 2004)

Subject:

Whine/Hum Noise From Automatic Transaxle Between 20 MPH - 50 MPH (32-80 km/h) With Light Throttle Applications (Replace Final Drive Assembly Kit)

Models:

2000-2001 Cadillac Eldorado

2000-2002 Cadillac DeVille, Seville

with Transaxle Auto 4 SPD, 4T80E, Electronic Conv Clutch (RPO MH1) and Ratio Transaxle Final Drive 3.11 (RPO FV3) or Ratio Transaxle Final Drive 3.71 (RPO FV4)

Condition

Some customers may comment on a whine/hum noise between 20-50 mph (32-80 km/h) with light throttle applications.

Cause

The final drive machine finish may be the cause of the noise concern.

Correction

Important: During the road test, if the noise is consistent in DRIVE and Neutral, the final drive unit IS NOT the most likely cause of the noise and further diagnosis is required. Refer to Symptoms - Automatic Transmission SI Document ID #821867.

Test drive the vehicle on a smooth section of highway in three different speed ranges: 20-30 mph (32-48 km/h), 30-40 mph (48-64 km/h) and 40-50 mph (64-80 km/h). Determine the speed range that the noise is most noticeable. When the noise is most noticeable, shift the transmission into NEUTRAL and back into DRIVE. If the noise stops when the transmission is shifted into NEUTRAL, the most likely cause is the final drive unit.

The replacement of the following final drive service kit may decrease but not completely eliminate the noise level. Use the appropriate part kit listed below based upon the transmission final drive ratio.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived