CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Key will not go all the way in the ignition switch.

PAUL T

I have a 2004 Deville, this morning I put the key out of my 97 deville in the 2004's switch by accident. It was dark and the fobs are the same, anyway the 97 key got stuck, so with some wiggling and a little force I got it out. Now the 2004 key will not go all the way in. I know that in order to remove the cylinder you have to turn the key into the accessory position, but I can't get the key in to turn it. Wife is not happy, it is her car. Help me redeem myself. Anyone had any experience with this? What are my options?

I would just call a locksmith. I suspect that the lock can be repaired in-place. If not, the locksmith can make a duplicate key and modify it so that *it* can go in and turn, allowing removal of the cylinder, without messing with your original key, and fix it out of the steering column.

Logan or others may have direct experience with this problem.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I got the key in but now I can not turn it. Wife still mad. Locksmith costs money which is short right now. I am planing on replacing the lock cylinder (about $45) but I do not know if I can get it out if I can not turn the key to the "on" position? Anyone?

Paul,

I think you're going to have to pull the lock assembly. If it were me, I'd remove the lock assembly and take it to a locksmith. They should be able to fix it. If you replace the lock cylinder, you'll need to have the new lock cylinder re-keyed to your existing key - otherwise, you'll have to use two keys - one for the doors and the other for the ignition.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I never thought about the doors. I was just planning on getting a new lock cylinder with new keys. The only thing I could do is reuse the old keyfobs but I would not manually be able to unlock the doors. I have already tore off the ignition lock handles (plastic). I am planing on taking the assembly out and taking it somewhere before I do any more damage. There is a kit to redo the tumblers but it is as expensive as a new lock cylinder with new keys. It is really frustrating, right now I have a 2004 yard ornament because I stuck the wrong key halfway in. Wife is still not happy. Thanks Kevin, I will keep everyone posted.

do you have a doghouse? I feel for you. I would never hear the end of it. Thats like my 96 and 97. I use keyfob 1 for the 97 and keyfob 2 for the 96. I wouldnt think it would have gotten messed up by putting the wrong key in but I suppose anything is possible

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I am still trying to get the steering column cover off. I am taking my time so I do not tear anything up. I got the bottom off but the top is being stubborn especially around the key. This week has not been good. It all started with puting the wrong key in disabling the 2004 Deville. Then my wife rolls the drivers window down on my 97 Deville and it wouldn't go up and it was supposed to rain. I suspected the switch. New one was $85, I found a panel with the switches on Ebay for $40 and that took care of that after a few days driving with a cut up cardboard box duct taped to the opening. Then a brake line busted on my Excursion while picking up a 16' trailer loaded with hay on hilly ground. Low gear and the emergency brake save us. That took $106 to fix. I have managed to stay out of the doghouse but nights have been cold.

Well I think I fixed my lock problem. I finally got around to tearing into the lock housing. I removed all the plastic and really could not figure out how to get the housing with the lock cylinder off. I inspected the lock cylinder and there were 2 pins that would not let the lock turn. One pin was visible and the other one was only visible if you put your head on the floor and looked up. I depressed those 2 pins in and the lock cylinder TURNED! I had removed the passkey magnet from around the lock cylinder and this prevented the car from running. I finally got the lock cylinder turned to the position to remove it. After inspecting it and making sure the 2 pins were freely moving I put it back into position with the passkey magnet in place the key worked like there was nothing wrong with it. It started and all was well. I even used the spare key that I could not get in the lock cylinder before and it worked flawlessly. So everything went back together with the exception of the plastic ears around the key that I broke off trying to turn the key. I am not sure I can find that part yet. I also broke one screw tab off the plastic around the steering column because I could not find the screw holding it on. I really do not know what I did that fixed it but I know now it works.

The hard part is done. You should be able to get the part with the "ears" through a dealer.for a 2004 model. Don't wait, though, since the usual support time for parts is ten years and the 2014's are out.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived