CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1994 STS Transmission won't go into drive or reverse

Bob Huseman

I have a1994 sts that I am driving across the country right now, have been driving fot 2days with no problems, stopped tonight to get fuel and when I went to leave, I could not get the trans to engage,I can move the shifter but nothing, engine will rev, but car doesn't move, there was no slippage or anything for the last 2000 miles. The lot of the gas station was fairly bumpy and fairly long. I was able to reach out to a repair. Shop and have it towed at 8 o'clock in the evening.

Any ideas, I am 500 miles away from homeland would like to get this fixed asap

Thank you

Bob

Shift cable came dislodged from the transmission?

Have you checked to see if there are any codes stored in the diagnostics?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Run the OBD codes ASAP, before the shop takes it inside. Write them down and post them here. The OBD codes will tell whether it's in the transmission or in the shift linage.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I am showing codes of:

Current:

P024

A047

History:

T073

S036

S044

P036

Dealer was no help, it's an old ford dealership in the middle of no where, had it. Towed back to hotel

Any and all help is appreciated

The current codes:

P024 = Vehicle speed sensor to TCC

A047 = Low refrigerant charge

The history codes:

T073 = EBTCM pulse width modulated signal fault

S036 = Electronic level control short to ground/open

S044 = List or drive signal fault - road sensing suspension

P036 = EGR valve pintle position out of range.

I am guessing the P024 code may be causing the issue. Can someone with a '94 shop manual post the diagnostic tree or at least the description of how/when the code sets?

Edit: I found this: You may just need to replace the vehicle speed sensor (VSS):

The vehicle speed sensor is on top of the transmission barrel at the end of the trans. Take the right front wheel off....follow the drive axle from the wheel/hub to the transmission. At the end of the transmission, about 4 inches inboard, at 12:00 you should find the vehicle speed sensor. Disconnect wire connector, R&R the sensor and reconnect wire. Simple fix. check the Wiring and connector for burned wires, corroded connector, etc...as it may be that, not the sensor itself.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I found that I could access the VSS connector and bolt from behind the right front wheel if the steering was turned all the way to the left.

It is even easier from under the car if you have a lift.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived