CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Strut replacement 2001 Deville

Hi, I want to replace my front struts but not sure what to use to replace the factory struts to keep the same ride. I have a 2001 Deville dts with traction control. I'm also looking for preloaded spring assemblies. Any suggestions welcome.

thanks.

Hi, I want to replace my front struts but not sure what to use to replace the factory struts to keep the same ride. I have a 2001 Deville dts with traction control.

Be aware your year/model has so called "electronic suspension"; GM RPO code F45.

Monroe makes an aftermarket electronic strut for your car; go to the Monroe web pages to get their part #'s. Installing non-electronic struts on that vehicle will not be a happy marriage.

I'm also looking for preloaded spring assemblies.

I have to ask why. Do you have reason to suspect your springs are losing tension or are broken?

Do you just want to avoid the labor of disassembly and reassembly?

It is doubtful if you will be able to locate the factory installed (ACDelco) struts at this point.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks for the reply I want to avoid the Labor that goes into disassembly and reassembly if possible I dont have the right tools to compress the spring ( I can rent if needed) and they are kinda worn. Any recomendations for after- market struts that may Bipass or not the electronic suspension and what will happen if i use passive struts?

Once again thanks to all replies.

Thanks for the reply I want to avoid the Labor that goes into disassembly and reassembly if possible I dont have the right tools to compress the spring ( I can rent if needed) and they are kinda worn. Any recomendations for after- market struts that may Bipass or not the electronic suspension and what will happen if i use passive struts?

Once again thanks to all replies.

First the spring issue. If it was my car and the front springs were not broken or damaged, I would rent, buy, borrow, or steal spring compressors and install the original springs on whatever struts you finally select. There is no guarantee that aftermarket "new" springs will meet the specifications.

You can find inexpensive passive struts for Deville or DHS models that will do the job. Just not as well as the electronic struts intended for a DTS model. Parts of life are a compromise.

Installing passive struts will cause the SERVICE SUSPENSION SYSTEM message to appear every time the engine is started. When that gets to be too much of a nuisance there is a resistor trick that simulates the presence of electronic struts and prevents the message.

Strut replacement including dismounting and remounting springs is not a difficult job on your car. And an alignment is not necessary.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

On the latter cars...pretty sure you can remove the RSS system as a option using a GM Tech 2. So no resisters needed.

The GM Tech 2 is the dealership scan tool. Any GM dealer will have one and few repair shops will have one. You can easily remove the RSS option from the car.

Attached pic shows a rare Saturn logo version Tech 2.

post-2-0-24939800-1382046717_thumb.jpg

Archived