CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

hi all,

new here and i'm thinking of buying a 98-2004 seville.

is there a best year, most reliable etc should I go low milage any year?

Or are the seville better 2000-2004?

is the ride better 2002 onwards (magnetrac?)

cheers, Simon

There were head bolt changes in 2000 that reduced the head gasket problems.

More head bolt changes were made in 2004 that just about eliminated head gasket problems.

Personally, I would look for the newest one, with the lowest mileage I could afford...

Preferably a 2004 with the new head bolt design.

As far as I know, the Magneride is only on the STS... it is not on the SLS...

Posted Image

Be careful with any Seville STS you purchase. Have it inspected thoroughly by a competent mechanic and get the vehicle service history from a GM dealership. These cars are money pits as they get older. Texas Jim is correct that by 2004 they pretty much fixed the HG problem, but don't forget one important fact: new, these cars were $55-60K. The repairs will reflect that price, not the price you will pay for a used one. I bought a 2003 STS (with the F55 Magnaride suspension) in February with 169000 km on it and have already put in almost $6000 in repairs. And now the Check Engine light is on. Every day I turn the key something else is broken and every repair is a nightmare in cost due to the electronic nature of these cars. If you get a good one, however, it's one of the most beautiful cars on the road, it's my favorite year for style (2001-2004). Good luck.

As far as I know, the Magneride is only on the STS... it is not on the SLS...

That's correct, and it's VERY expensive to fix/replace.

I have the Magneride on my 2006 DTS also... I love it.

When you need parts... don't forget to check AMAZON... they carry a lot of parts.

Posted Image

• 4 months later...

Be careful with any Seville STS you purchase. Have it inspected thoroughly by a competent mechanic and get the vehicle service history from a GM dealership. These cars are money pits as they get older. Texas Jim is correct that by 2004 they pretty much fixed the HG problem, but don't forget one important fact: new, these cars were $55-60K. The repairs will reflect that price, not the price you will pay for a used one. I bought a 2003 STS (with the F55 Magnaride suspension) in February with 169000 km on it and have already put in almost $6000 in repairs. And now the Check Engine light is on. Every day I turn the key something else is broken and every repair is a nightmare in cost due to the electronic nature of these cars. If you get a good one, however, it's one of the most beautiful cars on the road, it's my favorite year for style (2001-2004). Good luck.

My exact thoughts only mine is a 98 Deville...$.6000,00 and counting, repairs are never ending. 174,000 miles...Never again for any high mileage old car. They are nothing but money pits.. Buyers remorse ?. Oh hell yes

simon d,

Do not become discouraged! Are you mechanical? Can you do imtermediate repairs yourself? If so... consider an STS, never an SLS. STS is King of the Road! If you love power, performance, style, and passing everything is sight... even in six inches of snow, BUY AN STS! I currently have a '99 with 140,k. Love it.. Bought it with 38,k. Last one was the exact same car... bought it with 37,k. Totaled in an accident at 112,k. Driver walked away unhurt... the car that cut him off sent both front seat occupants to the hospital... My son owns an '01 and an '03...loves 'em both, as far as I can tell. My son just found a one owner with 65,k, advertised for $5,000, but it was sold when he got there... Keep looking for the one you want.. You 'might consider a DTS, as they have all the bell and whistles too!

Enjoy the search!

Ohio Jim

hi all,

new here and i'm thinking of buying a 98-2004 seville.

is there a best year, most reliable etc should I go low milage any year?

Or are the seville better 2000-2004?

is the ride better 2002 onwards (magnetrac?)

cheers, Simon

I usually try to find the newest car with the lowest miles when I'm car shopping.

My exact thoughts only mine is a 98 Deville...$.6000,00 and counting, repairs are never ending. 174,000 miles...Never again for any high mileage old car. They are nothing but money pits.. Buyers remorse ?. Oh hell yes

It all depends on how well the car was maintained/taken care of. My '97 STS has close to 188,000 on it - everything is in operating condition and I wouldn't hesitate to take it across the country. If things are let go on an old car, they quickly turn into beaters.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Back to the original question - get the latest model, lowest mileage car that you can find within your budget. Arrange the financing before you meet with the seller, and if possible get the VIN and have the car checked through a dealer that you trust and/or a CarFAX or equivalent. Make sure that you have the vehicle thoroughly inspected by either a user car inspection service or a dealer that offers that service; cost is on the order of $100. If you must make the offer or close the deal prior to inspection, make the offer CONTINGENT on passing YOUR inspection to YOUR satisfaction, or you are depending on your state's "buyer's remorse" law that gives you one to three days or so to return the car.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived