CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Broken Windshield

CANADIANCADDY

A rock hit and cracked the heated windshield of my 94 STS last night.

I went to get a replacement today at two of Canada's leading auto glass repair outfits and was told by both that a heated windshield is no longer available and that I will have to go with regular windshield if they can find me one.

Does anyone here know where I might be able to get a new (not used) heated windshield for my car? I have a 300.00 deductible so I may as well go for the heated windshield for if I can.

Thanks,

Paul

Seeing that you have the money to pay for it--aka insurance paying a good portion of it--they would find you one. There's a hell of a markup on that glass. Trust me, if a glass shop cannot find it, no one else wil. One thing that you may want to discuss with your insurance comany: Are you paying premiums for a heated windsheild? It costs more to insure a cadillac than a yugo. If you're getting yugo parts, you should be payint yugo rates.

I assume the Glass Shop tried the dealer ?

If GM can't get it, then they're likely unavailable.

Have you tried a salvage yard ? They are difficult to remove without breaking.

However, if you found one, you could make a deal with the Glass Shop to have them remove the windshield.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I recall when I needed a windshield this company asked me if I had a heated windshield. It does not appear that they have a repair center in Canada but maybe they can order one in that you can pick up or have picked up.. Mike

https://www.safelite.com/index.jsp

Scotty is correct as I found out awhile back as well that heated windshields are discontinued for my car. I have a 93 STS with a cracked windshield and discovered that the dealer priced them at $3000CAN but they were no longer available.

The local Ziebart shop here quoted a price of $375CAN non-heated.

Hi guys and thanks for your help. I am going to have a non heated version installed tomorrow however the shop doesn't know if it needs to do anything special with the wiring lead to the windshield which will no longer be required. Like what happens if I accidentally hit the heated windshield switch once I am running with a regular windshield? I know it took a hell of a lot of power to heat up the windshield and am wondering if this power will still be drawn if I hit the switch which is on the console by my elbow. Should I see if there is a fuse for the heated winshield and remove it?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Paul

PS Once I make this change can I expect a constant error message on the DIC?

Used to have a Merc Sable that had the heated windshield option.....cracked...

Could not justify the cost of a new heated version....

Simply had a standard one put in. No big deal at all.

...however the shop doesn't know if it needs to do anything special with the wiring lead to the windshield which will no longer be required. Like what happens if I accidentally hit the heated windshield switch once I am running with a regular windshield? I know it took a hell of a lot of power to heat up the windshield and am wondering if this power will still be drawn if I hit the switch which is on the console by my elbow. Should I see if there is a fuse for the heated winshield and remove it?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Paul

PS Once I make this change can I expect a constant error message on the DIC?

CANADIANCADDY,

I would have the installer Tape Off the connector so there would be no chance

of short circuiting it to ground.

If you pull the fuse, be careful the fuse does not control anything else.

If the connector is not connected, it should not turn on the DIC.

my 2 sense... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I can't beilieve they are not made anymore I will think twice before I get behind a truck! I want to keep myn! I love it it's great in the mornings when theres ice on the windsheild I just start the car and hit the button I come out 5 mins later and alot of the ice is melted! ;)

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

You can allways move to Florida. Don't forget the lime green slacks and the white belt. LOL

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Archived