CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

LD8 vs L37 - Your Opinions?

So I've got the L37 or 'High Output" Northstar in my '94 Seville STS. Recently discovered that the ONLY difference in the two motors (the LD8 in the SLS models) is that the L37 has a more aggressive cam profile. And apparently, it only makes that extra 30hp above 5000 rpm, sacrificing lower band torque/hp. Don't know about the rest of you folks, but I don't like to drive my 20 year old car that aggressively. Seems like I'd rather have the low end power. I had a '97 Deville that seemed much faster than my STS and it always made me wonder why. Although after I get this current rich fuel problem I'm having all sorted out I may have a different opinion. Just curious what the rest of you think about this.

P.S. Notice I said "motors". STS has a stiffer suspension that is electronically controlled. Can't remember what they call it (the suspension).

Note the transmission is different also. I prefer the 275 HP one over the 300HP one. I also find that the 275 has more low end torque. as for driving a 20 year old car aggressively that can be a good thing. I sure do and all of mine love it

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Note the transmission is different also. I prefer the 275 HP one over the 300HP one. I also find that the 275 has more low end torque. as for driving a 20 year old car aggressively that can be a good thing. I sure do and all of mine love it

Correct rockfangd, forgot about the final drive as well. I guess your logic on driving older cars aggressively is to keep carbon from building on valves and such. Just makes me nervous for some reason, like I'm going to throw a rod, lean out under full throttle and burn/blow something up, kill tranny, etc.

1994 Cadillac Seville STS 300 hp (224 kW) @ 6000 rpm 295 lb·ft (400 N·m) @ 4400 rpm

1994 Cadillac Seville SLS 270 hp (201 kW) @ 5600 rpm 300 lb·ft (407 N·m) @ 4000 rpm

Only 5 lb ft of torque difference...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northstar_engine_series

Posted Image

Correct rockfangd, forgot about the final drive as well. I guess your logic on driving older cars aggressively is to keep carbon from building on valves and such. Just makes me nervous for some reason, like I'm going to throw a rod, lean out under full throttle and burn/blow something up, kill tranny, etc.

Lol. It takes alot today to blow things, especially Cadillacs. If it is broken in and runs good. I drive it like I stole it

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived