CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

several problems w/ the seville that i have alot of attachment to and finally own but is it to late. at 74000 miles i hope not. plz help

I need your guys expertise, I am no mechanic but I can and have got it done. pretty much can do anything that I am properly informed about. I do have a fear about this car being a nightmare though but i have a 9 mo old and its a lot nicer for him than my beat to heck 88 blazer not to mention easier for the wife. I convinced my grandmother ( might have well been my mother ) to buy this sls when i was 16 years old. I already got the caddy tattoo because of this car. Now i own it, But Not before I went through almost a decade of drug addiction, and leaving my father who I love but learned all the bad habits from, to neglect a emaculatly maintained champaign bueaty of a caddy. My grandma was almost OCD with this car. beach towls on the seats and all. my father went on some adventure and had it sitting for 2 years never used literally full of trash, dirty paper plates and reaking, he decides he agrees that there is huge sentimental value to me in it. So its yours he says. It just needs a tune up he says. 2400 bucks later I still am finding all kind of problem. The most important one to address is the coolant issue. About two weeks ago the computer tells me to check coolant level. Which didn't surprise me, I was feeling like there was an issue in the cooling system. the gauge never breaks half, well maybe a hair. Yet I can feel heat coming all down under the dash. Well I pop the hood and where there was a small crack in the coolant expansion chamber about 3 years ago and had some sort of epoxy fix it was leaking again not a buch but I figured enough and that's problem. I already spent over two grand on this car so far, so its diy time. I jump on ebay and order a expansion. get it installed and Still get the message. while im trying to figure this out I end up finding the bottom of expansion is leaking from the sensor port. so i get another replacement sent to me and install it last night and bingo bango still telling me to check code. Could it be that the coolant was leaking straight onto the sensor plug and shorted it out? also could my suspision be right about there being an issue with the cooling system i should worry about even though the gauge doesn't really break free. Well lets end with just that before I right a book. i have a few more issues to ask about to see if you guys think this car will be worth spending my hard earned 50 dollars a day busting my back doing landscape service 9 hours a day to fix or should i just let go of the sentimental attachment and cut my losses.

My reservoir developed a crack at the casting seam for the front bolt hole - the one that attaches to the fender well.

After starting up check the reservoir level is full (to the bottom of the black plastic) if good you probably have a connector issue.

Check for voltage off the pins with key on and inspect connector for corrosion

Thanks. I found another leak from the bottle radiator hose. Small. The hose was all swollen probably good I caught it now before it burst. So will fix today after work. I figure I might as well do a flush while I'm at it. Should I also use one of those chemical products also. My Hanes manual says something about removing th thermostat in order to flush properly. Is that correct? Are those sealant pill the manual requires necessary. Is the dealer pretty much the only option for those if so. Also I am supposed to run my heater right? It doesn't work so is that a problem. It's one of the other issues. From what I know my father had the water pump go out on him and I'm guessing that's when it stopped working. I know he disconnected the a/c lines and lost all the refrigerant therefor the compressor is of. Would that have anything to do with it? Would he have disconnect anything else belonging to the heating system in order to get to the pump. I want to ask about how my car seems to Devour oil and some codes that my vw mechanic friend and a certified Cadillac mechanic couldn't explain. Do I have to start another thread for that?

Also a quick question the upper radiator hose does get hot but it doesn't get very firm is that a sign of low pressure. I tested bolt with a hole and it was blasting out of there. There is a smell the car put off when running and I'm starting to realize it might be coolant .

The upper radiator hose could just be worn and pliable. If you go down this road with hoses and a new thermostat get the right one - the one I just put in seems to be causing me some issues. And don't reuse the spring hose clamps - they will be iffy on reassembly just spend a few extra on standard clamps to avoid leaks

Archived