CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

SHIFT LEVER BLACK SQUEEZE GRIP

jamesg

Once again can anyone help me find the black GRIP UNDERNEATH THE SHIFT LEVER THAT ALLOWS YOU TO MOVE FROM GEAR TO GEAR ON THE 93 STS? The dealer want 200 bucks for the entire lever, and there aren't many used parts to a STS in the Junk Yard, even Junk Yard Dog!!!!!!! I cannot see myself going thru the headache to change the entire lever when only the black grip is broken on one end. It keeps falling out when I need to go into reverse, a pain. Is there anyway I can Gerry-Rig it to stay in place?

If I do the crazy glue it maybe stuck in one place. You know you have to press on the grip to releses and change gears. The glue may put it in one position.. I understand the Olds Auroa is close to the STS. I have seen a few with the similar shift lever in the middle console. I forgot the Olds Auroas are far and few in between. The junk Yard maynot have parts for them either.

You can't buy components for the knob or even a replacement knob for that matter. The shifter is sold as an assembly to GM as well as the SPO (service parts operations).

The knob button is made of an acetal plastic. It is very difficult to get adhesives to bond to acetal plastics. Cyanoacyrolate adhesives (super glues) may appear to bond initially but the bond is weak at best and will not stand up to any loading.

Your best bet would be to have a junkyard do a nationwide search to locate a suitable replacement.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If you wrote a letter to The Red Green show he'd most likely advise duct tape.

I've never found any glue that would repair those plastic parts.

Archived