CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Seville Dashlights not always coming on and effects brake light bar???

Here's a good one for you!

I have a 1992 Seville and lately I have had an issue with my dashlights not coming on. They are auto-lights so they should come on when the headlights come on but thats not the case. More often then not when I start my car (in the dark) The miliage, fuel, and radio lights are the only ones that come on and will dim super dark before being bright. The dash light will come on whenever it feels like it if at all sometimes a few seconds, others a few minutes, and some times not at all.

Here's the weird thing... when the dash lights fail to come on, only 1/3 of my brake light bar works. When the dash light do come on the brake bar is fully lit! I have seached for any and all relays that might have to do with this and was either unsucessful in locating or the ones I did replace were not the fix.

Has anyone dealt with this before or have any ideas???

Here's the weird thing... when the dash lights fail to come on, only 1/3 of my brake light bar works. When the dash light do come on the brake bar is fully lit! I have seached for any and all relays that might have to do with this and was either unsucessful in locating or the ones I did replace were not the fix.

Altough it may seem that way, the 2 are not related at all. The 1/3 is a classic failure mode of the third lamp.

Altough it may seem that way, the 2 are not related at all. The 1/3 is a classic failure mode of the third lamp.

But it only happens when the dash lights quit working... Once they come back on the bar lights back up

Go smack on the deck lid while it's working. It will stop working. It's a classic description of the third brake light failure mode.

It's just a coincidence what you are seeing.

Archived