CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 DeVille shakes around 60 - 70 MPH

Hello everyone,

I've read some info from this website a couple of times in the past, so I thought I would come here for help. I've been having trouble with my 2000 Cadillac DeVille DHS, that seems to occur mostly between 60 - 70 MPH. Particularly, the car seems to shake enough to make me uncomfortable. Particularly, the steering wheel, dash, and possibly the floorboards. I'm not sure what this is, so I thought I'd ask here. I've been thinking a possible problem with tie rods or bearings, but I have also heard of problems with motor mounts on this model year. I will probably do a power / brake check tomorrow and see if the engine moves much.

Some additional info: I've owned the car for about a year, and it has about 80,000 miles on it.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! - An estimated cost would also help. I'm a student, with a wee bit of experience in cars, but not a ton.

These cars are sensitive to tire road force - you might try having the tires road force balanced - not a traditional tire balance - use the Hunter website to locate a shop that has a Hunter road force balancer in your area.

It is also possible one of the tie rod ends is worn out. There are no grease fittings on them and the grease dries out, then the joint wears out. I had a tie rod end go bad (which caused vibration) on my 2005 Deville at just under 61,000 miles. I thought that was a premature failure...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have to say I have the same problem on my 96 Deville. I have tried everything. I have heard it may be the bearing in the transmsiion housing for the cv joint. I sadly gave up on it a few years ago and have just dealt with it. But I also have 200k miles. How much many are on yours?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Thanks for the responses everyone :)

Bruce, it happened at it's worst about 65 - 75 MPH. It seemed to settle down a little after that. Once I had time to really observe it, I noticed you could feel it in the throttle as well.

KHE, you are absolutely right. I had a better look in the light and two tie rod ends were worn out. Since there's no grease fittings, it was metal on metal. I also had a wheel bearing that was worn out on the left front. I went ahead and took it to a shop and had all 4 tires replaced and balanced, as well. I haven't had much time to road test, but it rides quite a bit better. :) Unfortunately, though, I'm certain the shop scratched my car right above the wheel well. It's too deep for a simple fix, as well. :glare:

rockfangd, I have almost 80,000 miles on mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same exact issue with my 2003 STS. Cause was bad balancing of the tires. Was advised to get a Road Force Balance (only certain shops have that equipment) and an alignment, and the problem went away.

Archived