CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Catalytic Converter problems...Perhaps even bigger

I own a 2007 STS and I am having problems with the Catalytic converters (I think). They begin to heat up quickly. I have replaced them before and I admit, the first time they were cheap parts. At the time I didn't have enough money and I knew a guy who would help me. (I only paid around $450) Then they began to make rattling noises soon after. Then I took it to a muffler shop a couple months after (rarely using the Caddy). And had them fix one (b/c it cost as much as the previous fix). Plus I asked the mechanic if it would still be ok with only one fixed, he said yes. 30mins later it began making rattling noises again, and somehow if I turn to the right, it sounds like something is dragging on the pavement. I really want to get this problem solved but I am no mechanic. So if you know a thing or two, please notify me.

Catalytic converters do get hot. That is part of the process by which they function. If there was something wrong with the original units, your car would have set a trouble code. The originals are warrantied for 8 years/100,000 miles I think.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived