CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Long lights on with Turn Signal

AUSTINCTS1

Ok here's a weird one. When I flip the left turn signal, the long lights come on. Not the right, just the left. It started a few weeks ago, and does it now and then. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I'm still not sure what headlight long lights are, but whenever the wrong side/wrong bulb come on, its usually a ground issue. Also ime to do a quick check for a pinched wire - especially near where recent work was done, or possibly the car was involved in a minior bump/hit. Another thing would be to check the bulb sockets for corrosion.

I think he is talking about the directional marker lights. The ones in the front that illuminate when you have the turn signals on,. I would say replace the bulb. These lights do not flash with the turn signal as they are meant to light the way into the direction.

If it isnt that then I am lost as to what it means

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Actually, I think it is the RIGHT Turn Signal, then the High Beam Turns on. Sorry for the confusion.

I'll turn the right signal off and on a couple or three times, then it's ok. It doesn't happen everytime, but it does happen daily.

Thanks,

Actually, I think it is the RIGHT Turn Signal, then the High Beam Turns on. Sorry for the confusion.

I'll turn the right signal off and on a couple or three times, then it's ok. It doesn't happen everytime, but it does happen daily.

Thanks,

Check all the GROUNDS around the headlights and around BOTH the FRONT and REAR turn lights...

Posted Image

Hate to ask, but how do you do that? I would give it a try if it is not too complicated. I would hate to take it to the dealer or shop, because I know I'll end up paying a few hundred bucks. Again, I won't blame you if you suggest taking it to a mechanic. I have changed the light bulbs before (front and back). Thanks.

Try pulling off the connectors on the bulbs involved and seeing if any of them are corroded or dirty. Look for a wire from the wiring harness that comes out near the socket connector and is simply bolted to the body or chassis; these are the grounds. Make sure that the terminals inside the connector are all clean and shiny and that none of them are pushed back into the connector, and put it back on, gently but firmly.

Rockfangd said that what does come on are the cornering lights, which help you see around a corner to, say, a driveway or parking place at night, and aren't turn signals. If that's what is happening, the turn signals themselves aren't coming on.

If you have OnStar, push the gray button and ask them to read the OBD codes to you. Write them down and post them here.

If you want to continue with us here, I have a 2007 factory shop manual with schematics and such on my computer and will pull it up and look for fuses and try to figure out what is happening from your descriptions and, if you can get them, the OBD trouble codes.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I really appreciate your help. It didn't happen today at all. All my lights (turn, corner, fog, headlights and highbeam) are working (no light bulbs are out). If it reoccurs then I will do as you suggest. Again thank you so much!

We can help you even if it isn't happening now if you can get your OBD codes from OnStar. One the car's computers detect a problem, the code stay there for us (or the dealer, or the owner) for about three months. They will still be there. Stay with us and get the codes, and you will take control of the problem instead of reacting to it when the automotive electrical gremlins please to torment you.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived