CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I have a 1999 Deville in Mint condition 50k miles & recently I purchased Bridgestone Touzana touring tires, the very next day I took a short trip (100 miles ) during the trip my cruise control stopped working, on the trip home the check engine light came on. I took my car to my mechanic & he put it on the computer & the code came up check electric, he reset it several days later while taking another trip it stopped working again but no Check Enginge light. Is it possible that the new tires could have caused this problem ? if not any idea's ?

What was the EXACT error code the mechanic came up with.

That will help A LOT on being able to diagnose what the problem is...

In the course of the tires being changed out... they may have partially disconnected one of the wheel speed sensors.

"IF" they did... it will cause the cruise not to work and give error codes.

Posted Image

You can check the codes your self from the dash.

Use the 3 switches located to the right of the Driver Information Center (DIC) to activate and respond to the OBD prompts on the DIC.

ON/OFF = YES
INFO RESET = NO
INFO DOWN or INFO UP = manual toggle

Ignition ON, acknowledge any warning messages; press ON/OFF and INFO UP together for 2 to 3 seconds. Everything in front of you lights up for 4 or 5 seconds, then you will see:

Display shows "ALL?"

Answering YES will display "ALL CODES?"
Answering YES will run automatic test sequence and display codes, if any. Systems and codes will scroll faster than I am able to read them and write them; not to worry.
"ALL CLEAR CODES?" will display at the end of the automatic test. If you are satisfied you have the information you need, answer YES to clear/erase all error codes.
Answering "ALL?" with INFO DOWN will toggle systems test manually in order.
Answering "ALL?" with INFO UP will toggle system test manually in reverse order.
Press INFO RESET to reset DIC to "ALL?" to start again.
Ignition OFF to exit.

You can also check the sensors yourself to see if one is partially unplugged.

Look on the back side of the rotor / hub.

There will be an electrical connection.

Unplug it and plug it back in.... If one of them is loose, that could be causing all of your problems.

This is what the plug looks like on my car...

20120408_120154.jpg

Posted Image

For a '99 Deville, to enter diagnostics, press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons. Or it can be the OFF and PASSENGER WARMER buttons.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The code is 503 , any idea's

There should be a prefix such as PCM P0503 or TCS P0503 or something like that. Just the number 503 is not a valid code.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

B2503 Park Gear (Auto Trans Shift Lock Control) Relay Shorted to Batt
C0503 Steering Assist Control Solenoid Return Circuit Low
P0503 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Circuit Intermittent
P1503 Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Not Correct

My money is on the P0503. The VSS is on the top of the right half-axle and can be easily reached from the side of the car. Park the car with room to lay down on the passenger side, turn the wheel all the way to the left, and shut it off. From behind the front wheel on the passenger side, reach up and feel the connector to the VSS on top of the transmission case near the bearing with the half-axle coming out. It will likely be loose. Pull it off, and tighten the terminals with a small screwdriver, clean them with contact cleaner from Radio Shack, and put it back on the VSS. If it is clean, tight, and snug, this will likely fix the problem.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived