CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Error code rim b1327 Cadillac STS 1998

I recently got error code rim b1327 on my Cadillac STS 1998, this means I got a "Vehicle system voltage below 9.0 volts". The problem appeared after the battery was drained and recharged (I have reset the OBD test several times but still got the error code). The battery is in good condition and I have recharged several days. Car display show the generator load is 14,2 volt and OK. No problem to start or drive the car, or any corrosion on cables etc, just this error message. Any fuse that can be broken and set the code (the battery was recharged first time from + in engine compartment - not directly to the battery under back seat if this can give any trouble) or any other possible common explanation?

These types of codes stay as HISTORY codes for a number of weeks as a note to any mechanics that look at the car. You can ignore the code. If you are at all concerned, clear the codes and see if it comes back. If it does, the battery may be looking for a way to surprise you, or you may need to clean the cables or some such.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thank you for answer. I have cleared the codes several times but the error is set as CURRENT (not history). I have checked the connections and they seems OK. I have also checked the battery it gives 12 volt.

The RIM is the Rear Integration Module, which is a module I didn't have in my Eldoado and don't know anything about. But it appears that you have a fuse, wiring or ground issue with the RIM. Do you have any other codes at all now?

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Update: Just tried another battery but still same error (Current even after cleared the codes).

One little trick you can try.

Be aware you will lose memory values stored in volatile RAM such as trip odometer, miles remaining, radio memories, and possibly several other items of information.

Disconnect BOTH cables from the battery terminals.

Momentarily touch the cable ends together.

Connect cables to battery and see if code is still displayed.

This action causes all the capacitors in all the modules to completely discharge which will usually clear all the false nuisance codes that persist.

Has to be worth trying.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Aaberg,

When this happened to me, I traced it to a 'nearly' broken wire. The device is red, and clips onto the hot cable at the battery. I believe it is inductive, (?), reading the battery voltage. It was holding on literally by a single strand of wire! I broke the connection, stripped the wire and twisted it together… that reminds me, I need to solder that before winter. Lol. The clip on device may also be dislodged, giving a false reading. (?) I hope this can be of some help. Good luck,

Ohio Jim

• 4 weeks later...

OK. Have disconnected RIM and attached again same problem. Have looked for the red device and clips onto the hot cable at the battery, but can't fint it. Do someone have a photo? I assume it's close to the battery under the rear seat? I still think it can be a burned fused. Is there any fuse related to this issue?

A blown fuse won't cause a low-voltage code like B1327. A fuse can be *cracked* or have corroded terminals, or the fuse socket can have loose or corroded terminals and cause low-voltage codes, and you should check. Fuses related to module prime power are usually main fuses that power several things so that you will see multiple CURRENT codes when they are blown. Anyone with a 1998 FSM that covers the RIM and B1327?

There is yet another thing to try. There are a few codes that will not clear when the battery is disconnected, and the manual says that you can wait until a HISTORY code times out or you can clear them with a Tech II. You can clear these yourself from the A/C controls. Do the process for running the codes, then, when you get the "PCM?" prompt, hit <Fan Lower> until you see "PZM?", then <Fan Higher>. You should get the prompt "CODES?"; if you don't, then hit <Fan Lower> until you do. Then hit <Fan Higher> and the PZM will list its codes. If you see P1327, then you have made sure that the PZM did throw the P1327. Then, hit <Fan Lower> until you get the prompt "CLEAR CODES?", then hit <Fan Higher>. There will be a pause, then you will get the "CLEAR CODES?" prompt again. Then, turn off the key. You are done.

:bluesbrothers: