CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mobile1 Oil Filter differences???

I have always purchased Mobile1 Extended Performance oil filters with Mobile1 Gold oil. This time I decided to look online. I found filters for $8 so I ordered a couple as that was better then the $12.99 I paid at AZ. I noticed that it looked different when I received it but it fit so I installed it figuring that my memory was "Off". Anyway, today I had to get more oil since I bought 10W-30 and needed 5W-30. AA has a sale on 5qts plus a filter so I bought it. The filter was I had remembered it and so my wife and I were looking at the two compared. They are both in Mobile1 packaging and are M1-206 filters. The AA one is taller then the Amazon one by about 3/8" and the packaging says 3X the capacity where the Amazon one says 2X.

I think that the 2X was some NOS. Should I be concerned using it or can I go my regular 15K interval?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I would go with the advice on the box, so long as you are absolutely sure that you are dealing with *real* Mobil merchandise. What you are apparently looking at is a product change/upgrade with both types in the supply chain right now.

OTOH you can't go wrong with the AC/Delco oil filter recommended for your car. Perhaps the Mobil 1 will have extra filter area and more capacity for catching fine debris with less clogging, but the AC/Delco is going to be quite sufficient for the needs of your car under the worst conditions allowed by the warranty.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Well, there was reasoning to my selection. The car's oil cap says "Mobile1" on it so I use Mobile1 oil. I have never measured the distance between oil changes but someone on here told me years ago that it was 12,000 miles. The only Mobile1 oil that was rated for that distance or higher was the Mobile1 Gold and the Mobile1 filter for that car was also rated for extended use. Were these not the products that were supposed to be used with this car?

As for advice on the box, there really is none. The newer one says that it is good for up to 15,000 miles but the older Amazon one does not specify.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

The advice on the oil can is one thing, the OLM is a high-tech item built into your car that, by design, gives you long service with "a good Cadillac experience." I would go with the OLM.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived