CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2002 Deville Sound system anti theft

mcmanus57

I have a 2002 Deville and the blower motor stopped working. By process of elimination, I determined that it was what they call the "Body Control Module".

It is located under the dash to the right of the blower motor. After going to my local salvage yard, purchasing a used module out of a 2004 and installing it, my blower fan worked just fine. The problem now is that the sound system anti theft memory is apparently stored in that module and now I can't use the sound system in my 2002 Caddy. When I try to turn it on, I get the message "Locked - THEFTLOCK - Active" and nothing else.

Any ideas on how to work around this?

Thanks.

Not sure if this is your issue...but GM has a TSB about not swapping modules:

Class 2 Serial Data Communication allows control modules (i.e. the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the Body Control Module (BCM), the Dash Integration Module (DIM), the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), the radio, the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Controller, and the Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) to exchange information. This information may be operational information or identification information. Among the identification information exchanged and compared within these modules is the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Typically the one module, the master module, broadcasts the VIN and all the other modules compare the VIN stored within itself. When the broadcast VIN does not match the VIN stored within the SDM, the following actions occur:

• DTC B1001 Option Configuration Error is set and deployment of the airbags is inhibited.

• DTC B1271 or a DTC B1780 Theft Locked.

The VIN information is also used by the radio. When the VIN does not match the VIN stored within the radio, DTC B1271 or DTC B1780 is set and the radio is inoperative.

Additionally, the master module will compare the SDM's part number (last four digits) to determine if the correct SDM is installed in the vehicle. If the SDM is the wrong part, a B1001 will also set.

This situation may occur when a vehicle is being repaired. When a PCM or a body control type module is replaced, the VIN information must be programmed into the replaced (new) control module. A module which has had VIN information entered into it (for example, one taken from another vehicle) cannot be reprogrammed. VIN information can only be entered into new modules. The ignition must be ON in order to program the control module. Since the VIN information is broadcast when the ignition goes to ON from any other ignition switch position, DTCs may be set in the SDM and/or the radio. Therefore, always follow the specified control module replacement procedures.

I personally would disconnect the battery and then try again. Just doing this has reset many non working radio / amp systems on Devilles.

Archived