CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Throttle body

rortiz8

Hi,

I have a 98 Cadillac Seville STS. The gas pedal is sticking and a local mechanic metioned that a cleaning of the throttle body would clear it up. How do I go about doing this on my own. I did seach the archives but didn't see anthing for a 98 Seville. Thanks

Welcome.

For a '98 Seville:

1) Locate the intake tube on the driver's side of the engine. It connects the air box down by the headlight and the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF sensor). Disconnect the intake tube from where it connects to the MAF sensor. There should be just a hose clamp there.

2) Locate the three bolts that attach the MAF sensor to the throttle body. They are long, but small. 7 or 8 mm heads if I recall correctly. Remove these three bolts. Careful...they like to slip out of your fingers and fall down!

3) Carefully remove the MAF sensor from the throttle body (TB). There is a rubber o-ring seal that may be "gluing" the MAF sensor to the TB, but it should remove without prying it. You may disconnect the weatherpack connector from the MAF sensor if necessary.

4) You should now be looking at the TB. Notice the smooth bore surface and the throttle butterfly. Using the throttle cable end, where it connects to the TB shaft, open the throttle to wide open throttle (WOT). You'll notice a thick dark ring of "gunk" where the butterfly contacts the bore when it's closed. This is what creates the sticking sensation.

5) Take an old toothbrush or even your finger inside of a lint-free shop towel and dip or saturate with TB cleaner and lightly "scrub" the bore of the TB until most of the gunk is removed. You probably won't get it all, but you should get most of it.

6) When you're done, you should notice right away that the butterfly doesn't stick closed anymore.

7) Reassembly is the reverse of removal. Be sure not to torque the MAF sensor bolts very tight at all. Just snug them up good. Be sure to reconnect the weatherpack connector to the MAF sensor before driving off.

Good luck!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Adallack, I've just gotten around to cleaning the TB as you had suggested in an early post, it made a difference. I was surprised how much.

Good. Keep your throttle healthy cleaning it up at every oil change.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived