CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1992 deville 4.9 start issues

1992 deville 4.9 standard.wont start.over hauled wires plugs distributor cap rotor cap changed all fueses in and outside of car.changed modualator,checked all wires no breaks in wires or exsposed wires.car spins but wont turn over.fuel pump is fine injectors working. car is not getting fire.check system security its also fine.any ideas anyone? i was driving and the car sputtered really lightly and stopped.

1992 deville 4.9 standard.wont start.over hauled wires plugs distributor cap rotor cap changed all fueses in and outside of car.changed modualator,checked all wires no breaks in wires or exsposed wires.car spins but wont turn over.fuel pump is fine injectors working. car is not getting fire.check system security its also fine.any ideas anyone? i was driving and the car sputtered really lightly and stopped.

What is the "modulator" you are referring to? The ignition module perhaps? Do you mean the starter spins but does not engage the flywheel? Have you tested for spark? What is the fuel pressure?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

thanks you guys.i bought a new ignition modulator the old one was corroded and wasnt getting contact.as soon as i installed the new on it cranked up right away.i think i put my spark plug wires on wrong though.it got that slight odd vibration going.any one knows how the wiring goes?

You should be able to get an ignition wiring diagram from any Chilton. If one doesn't show up here quickly I'll look in one of mine and see if I can find a 4.9.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived