CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2007 CTS Did not start.

AUSTINCTS1

Yesterday morning, my 2007 CTS did not start. It was cranking, but it seemed like a gas issue or starter.

Had it towed to the dealership, and they just informed me that the car started right up when the tech tried it. They tried it a few more times and it started right up. The Service Rep. said that it probably flooded. He said sometimes when you start the car, and turn it off fairly quickly, that it may flood. On Sunday, I backed out the car to clean my garage (parked at a slight slant). Then I parked it back in the garage. On Monday morning it didn't start. It seemed like it was flooded. He said if it happens again, to continue to crank it until it starts.

Has anyone experienced this before? Does this make sense? If it happens again, what can I do to get it started?

Anyway, I'm picking up the car, and grateful that I'm not having to dish out hundreds of dollars.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

"IF" it is flooded... and that's a very big "IF"....

Fuel injected cars do not flood very easily...

Hold the accelerator pedal to the floor while you crank it over.

Release it immediately when it starts of course.

Posted Image

Wow that is a word I have not heard in a long time. I would think you have something else going on. Is the check engine light on? have you checked for codes

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

If you have OnStar, get the OBD codes. If you don't, ask the dealer to give them to you. As a matter of general reference, I would ask that they put any OBD codes before and after service on the invoice when you pick up the car, or otherwise give them to you when you have the car serviced or repaired. Then, you have a record (I scan all my invoices and keep them by date on the computer) and you can post the codes here. More importantly, you know that they *did* look at the codes themselves.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

They called me back and did a EFI and Top Engine Cleaning. Here's what they put on the invoice:

"After vehicle started found bulletin PIP3146D REC EFI and Top Engine Cleaner per bulletin. Performed EFI per bulletin PIP3146D and Top Engine Clean."

Cost $283

The car is a 2007, and I have no idea how to do what they did.

It may be my imagination justifying the cost, but my car seems to run a lot better. Better pick up and smoother ride.

#PIP3146D: Rough Idle Crank No Start Extended Crank Or Misfire When Cold Due To Sticking Valves Or Excessive Carbon On Top Of The Valves - (May 11, 2011)

Subject: Rough Idle Crank No Start Extended Crank Or Misfire When Cold Due To Sticking Valves or excessive carbon on top of the valves

Models: 2000-2012 All Passenger Cars with Gasoline Engines
2000-2012 All Light Duty Trucks with Gasoline Engines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This PI was superseded to update recommended field, model years and engine list. Please discard PIP3146C.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Rough idle, misfires, extended crank, or crank no start when cold. The engine may run rough for up to 5 minutes after starting the engine and may exhibit a P0300 DTC too. This may be caused by sticking valves or excess carbon due to fuel contamination

Note: fuel oxidation and volatility concerns can often cause these issues as well, however they cannot generally be checked in service. Trying a different, high quality fuel is sometimes the best diagnostic.

When the engine is cold, the compression on multiple cylinders may be at 0 PSI. The engine also may pop through the intake or exhaust while cranking and the spark plugs may be fuel fouled when inspected. Some engines may also experience valve damage or cam followers that are out of position as a result of this.

This condition can occur in specific areas of the country for a period of time and then it will no longer occur after the suspect fuel source has been consumed in that area of the country.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the SI Diagnosis leads to a compression loss due to sticking valves, the following information may help:

If there is no sign of valve damage or cam followers that are out of place, perform the following procedure to free up sticking valves and to prevent the valves from sticking again. If valve damage is present or if there are cam followers that are out of place, perform engine mechanical repairs as necessary to correct the concern and then perform the procedure below to prevent the valves from sticking again.

•Clean the fuel system by following the applicable "Fuel System Cleaning" procedure outlined in SI.
•Add fuel injector cleaner "GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco, use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012)"... see This PI was superseded to update recommended field, model years and engine list. Please discard PIP3146C. bulletin # 05-00-89-078B, to the fuel tank in the approved quantities.
•Refill the fuel tank using fuel from a high volume, high quality filling station.
•Clean the induction system using GM Top Engine Cleaner. Follow the directions on the can but DO NOT force the engine to stall since forcing the engine to stall with liquid Top Engine Cleaner could cause the engine to hydro-lock. * If available use an atomizer with Top Engine Cleaner through the throttle body.
•Advise the customer to change fuel filling stations. They should use fuel from only high volume, high quality filling stations or they should use a Top Tier Detergent Gasoline if available. See 04-06-04-047I (U.S.) or 05-06-04-022G (Canada) for details regarding Top Tier Detergent Gasolines.

Posted Image

Yesterday morning, my 2007 CTS did not start. It was cranking, but it seemed like a gas issue or starter.

Had it towed to the dealership, and they just informed me that the car started right up when the tech tried it. They tried it a few more times and it started right up. The Service Rep. said that it probably flooded. He said sometimes when you start the car, and turn it off fairly quickly, that it may flood. On Sunday, I backed out the car to clean my garage (parked at a slight slant). Then I parked it back in the garage. On Monday morning it didn't start. It seemed like it was flooded. He said if it happens again, to continue to crank it until it starts.

Has anyone experienced this before? Does this make sense? If it happens again, what can I do to get it started?

Anyway, I'm picking up the car, and grateful that I'm not having to dish out hundreds of dollars.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hi Austin,

We're glad to hear that the dealership didn't find any problems with your Cadillac and was able to explain what was going on with your vehicle. It also looks like you've been given some good advice from Texas Jim as well. If there's ever anything you need, please do not hesitate to contact us. We're here to help.

Amber N. (assisting Gregory)

Cadillac Customer Care

Archived