CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My trans just went, no forward gears, but reverse is somewhat there. Its a 94' fleetwood brougham with the 5.7 LT1. I believe it has the 4l60e trans. If it turns out to be cooked, I have a 700r4 thats available to me , but what would have to be changed to make it work. It should bolt right up, but I've read alot of forums about this, and theres seems to be alot of concerns with the vss, tv wire, ecm adjusting...any thoughts ?

The 4L60E uses shift solenoids for the shifting (hence the "E" for thectronic) where the 700-R4 used a vacuum modular type setup. Getting the 700-R4 to work properly with the vehicle electronics would be a difficult if not impossoble task... I'd look into having the existing transmission rebuilt by a reputable rebuilder or finding a low mileage used one.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I found the original trans to that car...alot of miles on it, but it will work for now. Only thing is I'm popping the emissions fuse (10a) now. car still runs , with some hesitation here and there. The o2 sensor wires looked pretty bad when I dropped exhaust, couls that be it ?

Yea, I found the original trans to that car...alot of miles on it, but it will work for now. Only thing is I'm popping the emissions fuse (10a) now. car still runs , with some hesitation here and there. The o2 sensor wires looked pretty bad when I dropped exhaust, couls that be it ?

If the oxygen sensor wire is shorting to ground, that could very well be the reason the emissions fuse is blowing. I'd need to look at a wiring diagram to see what was powered from the emissions fuse but I only have a 1993 Fleetwood manual and the powertrain was completely different from 1993 to 1994.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived