CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tire Pressure Monitors

Can you shut off the tire pressure monitors or can you at least calibrate them? They are about 6lbs off on each tire from where my gauges are. In order to get the CHECK TIRE PRESSURE message to go away I have to run 28 lbs in my tires and I do not like to do that.

I found a way to shut it off under feature programming, but that just shuts off the display of the tire pressures, but will still give you the message if a tire is too high or low.

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

Can you shut off the tire pressure monitors or can you at least calibrate them? They are about 6lbs off on each tire from where my gauges are. In order to get the CHECK TIRE PRESSURE message to go away I have to run 28 lbs in my tires and I do not like to do that.

I found a way to shut it off under feature programming, but that just shuts off the display of the tire pressures, but will still give you the message if a tire is too high or low.

Yes they can be reset/calibrated...

The easiest way is to go by your local tire store and let them do it with the little hand held machine they have.

The other way is a lot more trouble and time consuming...

If you have the owners manual... it tells the procedure.

If "ALL" of the tire pressure sensors are all off by 6 pounds... I would be looking at the hand held gage you have to be off...

It would be a really, really, long co-incidence for "ALL" of the sensors to be off.

Posted Image

Are your gauges good? Most cheap pen-type gauges read about 4 PSI higher, and cheap dial gauges sometimes read 3 PSI lower. So, make sure you have a good dial gauge.

Also, remember that the TPMS sensors read absolute pressure, where the gauges we use read relative pressure (relative to the atmospheric pressure). Hand-held gauges get affected from temperature and humidity, and most of them can mess up after a single drop.

I use a strong miniature horseshoe magnet to reset mine after I rotate the tires. The shop manual states the sequence - I think it is LF, LR, RR, RF. Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the key fob and the horn will chirp. Then hold the magnet next to the LF valve stem and once it is calibrated, the horn will chirp. Continue the sequence and after you calibrate the last sensor, the horn will chirp twice. It should then be set.

I second what others are saying about the handheld gage - I use a digital gage and it is spot on with the TPM system. Your gage could be bad - even a digital one can have issues.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

That's what I was thinking too, but I have a gauge in all of my vehicles so I compared and they all agree with my handheld.

The only thing that I was able to find in the manual talked about resetting them after a rotation and that it requires a special tool and to see a dealer.

I read somewhere that you can do something by deflating them to a certain psi and then calibrate them, but I think that was on a CTS.

I ended up posting after a couple people. Do you think I'd be safe and just use the TPM pressures? I have the dial type gauges. Maybe I'll go buy a good pressure reader tonight.

-Dusty-

That's what I was thinking too, but I have a gauge in all of my vehicles so I compared and they all agree with my handheld.

The only thing that I was able to find in the manual talked about resetting them after a rotation and that it requires a special tool and to see a dealer.

I read somewhere that you can do something by deflating them to a certain psi and then calibrate them, but I think that was on a CTS.

The special tool is the magnet...LOL. The procedure I described is from the 2005 shop manual for resetting the sensors after tire rotation. The cars were unchanged for the most part from '04 to '05.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I remember doing that on my 02 Seville with a block magnet and it worked great.

-Dusty-

You can do the relearn procedure by letting air out of the tires in the proper sequence "AFTER" you put it in relearn mode.

On my 2006... you use the DIC to choose relearn the sensors...

The horn will chirp to tell you to begin...

Then the sequence is Drivers side front... let air out until the horn chirps when it is resets...

Then the passengers side front... the horn will chirp...

Then the passengers side rear... the horn will chirp...

Then the drivers side rear... the horn will chirp twice to indicate all of them were reset and the procedure is over..

Then air all the tires back up to the correct pressure.

Posted Image

Use a large magnet. If this procedure fails, try a magnet with greater flux density.

1) Ignition ON.

2) Press LOCK + UN-LOCK key fob buttons simultaneously until the horn chirps.

3) Starting with LF wheel, hold the magnet in contact with the valve stem
until the horn chirps. Then RF, then RR, then LR. After LR, the horn
will chirp twice to indicate the relearn was successful.

There is a timer running that allows 1 minute between wheels and
5 minutes total elapsed time.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

JimD, I'm actually looking to calibrate their pressure, not placement.

Jim, I can't find anything on the DIC that let's me select to relearn. I'm thinking that might have started in 06 with the new body style. I'll grab a digital gauge tonight and see if the TPM is actually off or if all my gauges are.

-Dusty-

Actually you don't use the DIC to start the calibration process. You use the fob. See KHE's post #4 in this topic.

To be sure, look it up in your owner's manual. Texas Jim pointed out that the TPM re-calibration procedure was in his 2006 owner's manual in post #2 in this topic.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It seems there is some miscommunication somewhere here. I had mentioned in earlier posts that I was referring to the calibration of the actual pressure itself, not the LF, RF, etc and that my manual only states to see a dealer, but that's not what I was looking for anyway.

I still have not found a way to calibrate them and I'm thinking there isn't a way to do it.

HOWEVER, I found out that 3 of my dial gauges are all accurate...to each other. I bought a digital gauge and just like KHE's gauge reads, it's DEAD on. Needless to say I am retiring my dial gauges.

-Dusty-

As far as CALIBRATING the pressure sensors... I don't know of a way to do that.

I have never heard of one actually NEEDING calibration.

The few times I have read about one being crosschecked for proper reading they are usually within ONE POUND of being dead on accurate.

You can recalibrate a gauge ... but I don't think the pressure sensors inside the wheels are adjustable.

Posted Image

I think the complaint is....

In order for the system to maintain a 'ok' status...it requires x amount of air pressure. Say 36 psi.

I think he wants to run the tires at maybe 31 psi for comfort...but this triggers the low pressure warning.

I think he is trying to adjust the system to see the 31 psi as ok.

Pretty sure there is not a way to change what the system sees as ok pressure. I think there is a way...with a Tech 2...to remove the TPS as a option from the vehicle menu. The TPS sensors became mandatory around 2007 (firestone fiasco)...those systems cannot be turned off with a Tech 2.

I do not know about the 2004... but on the 2006, you can use a Tech 2 and adjust the upper and lower limits as to when it turns on the warning on the dash.

Within safety limits of course.

Mine used to trigger the high pressure warning at 38psi and the low pressure warning at 26psi.

Since I run it at 35psi cold... I had it changed to trigger at 40psi on the high side and 28psi on the low side.

My tires are rated to 44psi cold...

Posted Image

Archived