CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1995 STS needs alternator will a 1997 alternator eldorado work?

LINDAL

95 STS needs alternator will a 97 eldorado's work? My husband is removing it from the 97 to use in the 95 and I dont know if it will work.

I checked on Rock Auto and found that a "second design" is used on 1997-2002 alternators, but that the original design was the same for 1993-1997 Eldorados. The alternator should work if the connector matches up. The differences between the first and second designs appear to be in the fan and the regulator. There was a water-cooled alternator that was used for a year or two in Sevilles in the late 1990's but apparently not in the Eldorado; don't get one of those unless you are willing to figure out the coolant pipes and hoses and mod your 1995.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I agree.

Also the STS may have a heated windshield and the eldo may too but it is pretty rare. I put a 97 eldo alternator on my 96 Deville with no problems

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I have never heard of anyone with the heated windshield. My understanding from the FSM is that the lower part of the windshield has heater wires in it like some of the early rear window defrosters, so that if you live in Alaska, or parts of Canada and the Midwest where there are massively cold winters and you either park your car outside at night or it gets snowed on in a parking lot during subzero temperatures, you can free up the windshield wipers with the heater and, with high-alcohol washer fluid, clear the windshield and get on your way in a reasonable amount of time.

I bought my 1997 ETC in L.A.. There wasn't a heated windshield or a heated seat in sight.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I knew one guy ... years ago that had the heated windshield...

It got broken from a rock and had to be replaced... if I remember right, it was a couple thousand bucks to replace it.

Posted Image

I think heated windshields kinda went away...pretty sure we had one in a 1990 Sable that we simply replaced with a standard one.

I also think the water cooled alternators were quietly recalled and fitted with standard units.

Not sure about the '97s....but the 2000 Eldo uses a different alt then something like a 2000-2002 Deville. The mounting ear is different to facilitate the front upper engine mount dogbone bracket used on the Eldo.

Generally the powertrain of the Eldorado tracked that of the Seville, even though the platform of the Eldorado didn't change in 1998. The 2000-2002 Eldorado had the new generation Northstar.

In 2000...the Eldo got the new engine...and still had the upper dogbone engine mounts. The newer Seville and Deville did not use the dogbones. Hence the Eldo used a different alt to facilitate the upper dogbone mount engine bracket.

It's a different alt on 2000-2002 Eldos then 2000-2002 Deville and Seville.

I added 2 pics...one is 2000 Eldo alt....the other a 2001 Deville alt. Different mounting design.

post-2-0-39623500-1375041502_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-62359400-1375041519_thumb.jpg

Well, anyway, if you have a heated windshield, that car takes a bigger alternator. The standard alternator is rated at 140 Amps. I don't know what the alternator rating is with the heated windshield option.

The 1998 Seville also dropped the fender braces over the battery and headlights, although the holes were there and they could be obtained through parts, so I have heard. I think that they were trying to get away from the five-mount engine/transmission support system and three additional hood braces with the platform change. Didn't they get back to the dog bones later in the 2000's for some FWD cars?

Whatever...the heated windshield option also uses a 140 amp alternator. I think it is option code C50.

It has a slightly different part # then the 'standard' 140 amp version. It is also replaced as a complete unit and not serviced like the regular unit.

My understanding from the FSM is that the lower part of the windshield has heater wires in it like some of the early rear window defrosters, so that if you live in Alaska, or parts of Canada and the Midwest where there are massively cold winters and you either park your car outside at night or it gets snowed on in a parking lot during subzero temperatures, you can free up the windshield wipers with the heater and, with high-alcohol washer fluid, clear the windshield and get on your way in a reasonable amount of time.

The heated windshield option had a window with a conductive film over the entire windshield. It would clear 1/8" of ice in less than 2 minutes. Very rare option and as others have said, not many cars were equipped with them. The windshields were discontinued many years ago so if a car has one and it is damaged, it must be replaced with a standard one.

The heated windshield also affects the performance of radar detectors which is why I didn't want one when I ordered my '93 Fleetwood Brougham...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

My 96 Eldo had heated windshield, Also had rainsense and heated seats, block heater, etc... I replaced the alternator and it was slightly larger and had 1 extra plug. I found that it pulled alot of current, More than the rear defroster I would say

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

How will 97 car work with no alternator?

Temporarily.

My aunt's 1991 STS has the original heated windshield and alternator. The gold tint isn't as obvious as Ford's InstaClear pictured above. The heated windshield module takes 3 phase AC directly from the stator. It works well while driving in winter conditions before the interior has had a chance to heat-up; an increased idle speed is commanded to ensure sufficient alternator output.

post-15-0-90910400-1375329261_thumb.jpg

I haven't been able to find out much, either from my 1997 FSM or from a web search. It's option C50 as Logan says, there is a plug for the windshield accessible low on the driver's side from under the hood, and the wiring runs across the car and over the engine to a plug on the main wiring harness. The alternator is still 140 Amps but has a separate connector, according to rockfangd.

Running directly on three phase as KevinW says makes a lot of sense from the engineering POV. You can't kill the battery if it doesn't run from the battery. There's no impact on the diodes if the current doesn't go through the diodes. It's really a complete separate electrical system that borrows most of the alternator capacity for a couple of minutes.

Archived