CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Diamond Rio Tractor engined Rat Rod?

The engine is out of a 1952 Diamond-Reo tractor and makes 1,640 lb-ft of torque. The chassis is pieced together from old light poles from the City of Hollywood. The body... that's from a 1931 Ford. Meet Gretchen, one of the coolest rat-rods we've ever seen and a ride that turns heads wherever it goes. This ain't no hybrid, instead it's a black smoke belching, gasoline guzzling, animal of a car that's not only amazing to look at, but with some cool hidden engineering, has the ability to surprise even the most hardened of motor-heads.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

That is a cool rod... I like it.. :)

Just nit picking... but if my memory serves me correctly, if it's a '52, the engine is either a Diamond T or a REO...

Diamond T merged with REO sometime in the mid '60's to form Diamond Reo...

Posted Image

The plate on the engine said White Motor Company. Diamond T, REO, Mack and others made the chassis and possibly the body of the tractors but bought the engines, transmissions, differentials, brakes, etc., which were made to spec by Continental, White, Borg-Warner, Bendix, and others. We know next-to-nothing about the engine, other than that its donor vehicle was a big 1952 model tractor for 18-wheeler rigs and that it is rated at 1640 lb-ft of torque and something like 280 hp.

My basic take on this rat rod: Why the h*** not??? I love it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Whatever 'floats your boat', but my take on rat-rods; no thank you.

Rethought my negative comment, please disregard.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I think the Rat Rod idea is a response to the massive number of 'trailer queens' that are restored to an exacting standard, but then never driver or enjoyed.

Rat Rods focus on utility and uniqueness, and are driven. They showcase the owner's mechanical abilities, as most work is usually done by owner.

I like paint and chrome, and I don't resonate with the Rat Rod look, but I like anything automotive that is done consistently and well.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I have never really understood the rat rod idea, but that makes sense. I could be accused of the opposite of a trailer queen owner. I personally don't understand why people buy a 400-500 hp machine and say "I would never do that" to the question, have you ever raced it? Isn't that the very reason they were built?

That vehicle is very interesting no matter where you sit on that subject!

AirMike...

That has always puzzled me too...

Why spend a fortune on a car that you never drive or enjoy ??

Heck... I am stupid enough I have ran my big ol' barge of a DTS down the strip a few times...LOL LOL LOL

Posted Image

Hmmm...... In Another topic all of You say "YES!" to a guy who is thinking about what to change on his perfectly original, rare, car. This one is built from scrap without destroying any car. Yet You are negative to this mans work and pleasure! ????????????????? Sorry, I don´t get the logic!

Hmmm...... In Another topic all of You say "YES!" to a guy who is thinking about what to change on his perfectly original, rare, car. This one is built from scrap without destroying any car. Yet You are negative to this mans work and pleasure! ????????????????? Sorry, I don´t get the logic!

I am not negative at all....

I like it... he spent some time and effort to make something unique and I think that's cool... :)

I must have missed the thread about changing an original, rare car.

I don't remember that...

Posted Image

No Jim, You are not included and I was swingin a bit to much. Sorry! Was not checking who really wrote what - more of the trend in the answers.

It was this topic: http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=42962

Goran W must have missed something here. I read both posts just now and am baffled by your comments. I love unique cars like the one in the op.

I personally would never own one, not my cup of tea, but they are sooo cool to see what someone else has done. Like Bruce roadster, I am not likely to have one, but I get on here every day to see what he has done next. Awesome cars are awesome cars, regardless of the genre. genre/would that be applicable?

I especially like the unorthodox re-use of scrap, like using old light poles as frame rails. The exhaust seemed to be short open pipes, but I heard a reference that these same old light poles that were the frame rails were also exhaust pipes.

Two things I would look at with this car are a bigger gas tank and getting the exhaust out the back and out of the cockpit. Six gallons doesn't give you much range with a huge engine like that, just a couple of miles. A aux tank anywhere in the rear of the car with an electric fuel pump doing an occasional transfer would do the trick. Tighter steering might be on the list too.

I love the big truck wheels and tires, sort of an anti-Pirelli statement, and I know that these wheels and tires can do a terrific job of supporting handling, if the center-of-gravity is kept low, and that you can do really good handling up to a point without a sophisticated suspension. It may never see 0.95 g on a skid pad but the feel and handling performance on the road can be really great.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived