CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Does the white smoke have a smell?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Smelled like burning oil

Trip report,

Just got back from a good 15 min seriously hard drive. The car was running flawlessly, all power, no smoke, idling normal, got on the freeway and did ten plus WOT's, still driving perfectly, get home, park it for 5 minutes, go back to start it............and....... extreme rough idle, can't touch the gas without it dying and then suddenly.....perfect idle and acceleration again. Let it sit another five....... same deal

I am honestly flummoxed over this one. At least with this car, it is a known quantity and any other one could have even more problems..... :/

Don't let your first ride be your last ride in a Cadillac!

Since things have changed, I would run the codes again. No-codes causes are usually related to sticking ISC stepping motor, throttle cable, or accelerator pedal, vacuum leaks, or leaking FPR or injectors. Have you looked at the spark plugs and wires? A breaking down plug, wire or coil can cause this problem.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Just got through checking the plugs which were slightly dirty..... cleaned and re gapped to no noticable effect.

Gonna go exchange the isc as it was suggested that they can be bad out of the box.. Also going to see about renting a fuel pressure tester to eliminate the possibility of a bad/ failing fuel pump (regulator is fine, no bribble or smell of fuel)

later

Installed the new ISC, followed the adjusment procedure, called a local trusted Caddy mechanic, made an appointment, retried the procedure and I've been starting the car every hour without any issues (knock on the genuine wood trim).

Either I was missing something within the specified procedure or the thought of being touched by a strange mechanics hands scared it straight, either way, it seems to be good?

Installed the new ISC, followed the adjusment procedure, called a local trusted Caddy mechanic, made an appointment, retried the procedure and I've been starting the car every hour without any issues (knock on the genuine wood trim).

Either I was missing something within the specified procedure or the thought of being touched by a strange mechanics hands scared it straight, either way, it seems to be good?

What did I tell you? :) Enjoy your ride. Do not let anybody touch your car. With the help of this forum you can do it yourself.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

It probably just got all the good parts installed and properly adjusted all at the same time, and had time to go through it's self-training procedure for engine RPM versus ISC setpping motor count.

But, knock on genuine Zebrano wood trim, yes.

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys, I completely forgot to update this thread with the fix. Turn out the computer was bad, it seems that it had been replaced before with an aftermarket one. The issue was (and this makes alot of sense) every sensor on the idle/ start run circuit being pugged in caused a voltage drop which would cause the no start condition. This explains why I could get the car to start and run with the air box out but not in or the tps unplugged and so on.

The Caddy mechanic came through for me as the car has had no trouble since........

He also installed a non vats lock cylinder in the column and basically bypassed the system by basically leaving the security wire attached to the old cylinder and tucking it with the pellet key in it up under the dash.....make sense? He did it free of charge other than the new cylinder and keys because he kept getting stuck with waiting three minutes every time he touche the car.....lol

:bsmeter:

There is no such thing as an aftermarket PCM for a 1995 SLS or any other Cadillac other than hot-rod ECM/TCM or PCMs that are not street legal, except the GM E-Rod, which allows you to put a high-powered LS3 engine and transmission in your late-model car and has emissions certifications. Either something is a bit garbled in what your mechanic is telling you or he isn't telling you everything.

No PCM is going to die if all its sensors are plugged in. All PCMs require all of their sensors to be plugged in to function properly.

Archived