CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I need info on the AMP for the 2006 DTS with BOSE

Texas Jim

I think one channel on my amp is bad.

The drivers side REAR DOOR speaker does not work.

I replaced the speaker with a new BOSE speaker and it doesn't work either.

Speaker part number 25725733.

I am not sure where the AMP is located and what it would entail to replace it.

Any troubleshooting advice to narrow down the problem is more than welcome... :)

Posted Image

My Service Manuals (eSI) do not reach to 2006, but if any of the location information from 2005 Devilles might be useful I am happy to pass it along.

There are just not that many places to mount the audio amplifier.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I thought that the door speakers in the Bose systems were active - the amps are part of the speaker assembly. If yours are like that, there are three connections: power, ground, and signal; any one will kill the speaker. Let me know if you think this is applicable to the 2006 Deville with Bose sytstem.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I thought that the door speakers in the Bose systems were active - the amps are part of the speaker assembly.

No, no, no.

Bose (UX8) systems in Devilles from 2000 to 2005 and Sevilles from 1998 to 2004 had an eight channel audio amplifier mounted behind the rear seat cushion.

2006 Devilles might be a different story but I really can't see Bose and GM going back to an older (much older) system design. The major question as I see it is amplifier location for 2006+.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I thought that the door speakers in the Bose systems were active - the amps are part of the speaker assembly. If yours are like that, there are three connections: power, ground, and signal; any one will kill the speaker. Let me know if you think this is applicable to the 2006 Deville with Bose sytstem.

Nope... only 2 wires go to the speaker.

Posted Image

I thought that the door speakers in the Bose systems were active - the amps are part of the speaker assembly.

No, no, no.

Bose (UX8) systems in Devilles from 2000 to 2005 and Sevilles from 1998 to 2004 had an eight channel audio amplifier mounted behind the rear seat cushion.

2006 Devilles might be a different story but I really can't see Bose and GM going back to an older (much older) system design. The major question as I see it is amplifier location for 2006+.

I will try to get out there early in the morning and pull the back seat and see if the AMP is behind there.

Taking the BACK part of the seat out is a real bear...

I don't know how many channels the amp has...

I have a subwoofer in the rear package deck up behind the back seat.

There is a speaker in each of the four doors and a tweeter in each of the pillars that run up beside the front windshield.

So... a total of six speakers plus the subwoofer.

It is also surround sound...

Posted Image

I will try to get out there early in the morning and pull the back seat and see if the AMP is behind there.

Don't do that! IF your audio amplifier is mounted where a 2005 Deville's audio amplifier is mounted, that would be the trunk side of the structural member behind the rear seat. Access through the trunk.

IF your list of RPO codes includes UX8, and that is a winning bet, you have an eight channel Bose audio amplifier.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Don't do that! IF your audio amplifier is mounted where a 2005 Deville's audio amplifier is mounted, that would be the trunk side of the structural member behind the rear seat. Access through the trunk.

IF your list of RPO codes includes UX8, and that is a winning bet, you have an eight channel Bose audio amplifier.

Thanks Jim for the heads up on the location of the amp...

I was thinking of behind the seat as being BEHIND the seat... LOL

I take everything pretty literally...

Here are all of the RPO codes I can find in my RPO list pertaining to the radio...

UQA...SPEAKER SYSTEM PREMIUM PERFORMANCE ENHANCED AUDIO PREMIUM SPKR SYSTEM

U2K...DIGITAL AUDIO SYSTEM S-BAND DIGITAL S-BAND AUDIO SYS

U3R...RADIO AM/FM STEREO, WX, SEEK/SCAN, CD, DVD, NAV, CLOCK DSP, RDS, W/VOICE REC MICRO RADIO AM/FM,WX,CD,DVD,NAV,CLK,W/VOICE REC

Posted Image

Thanks Jim for the heads up on the location of the amp...

I was thinking of behind the seat as being BEHIND the seat... LOL

I take everything pretty literally...

I get it. But in the passenger compartment there is virtually no space between the rear seat back cushion and the structural member behind the cushion. The modules/components/wire harness are all located on the trunk side of the structural member.

Here are all of the RPO codes I can find in my RPO list pertaining to the radio...

UQA...SPEAKER SYSTEM PREMIUM PERFORMANCE ENHANCED AUDIO PREMIUM SPKR SYSTEM

U2K...DIGITAL AUDIO SYSTEM S-BAND DIGITAL S-BAND AUDIO SYS

U3R...RADIO AM/FM STEREO, WX, SEEK/SCAN, CD, DVD, NAV, CLOCK DSP, RDS, W/VOICE REC MICRO RADIO AM/FM,WX,CD,DVD,NAV,CLK,W/VOICE REC

It appears that GM RPO codes could be year/model specific.

Back to the missing audio and the possible (likely) audio amplifier channel failure. Certainly a discrete component in one audio channel can fail. If you are willing to wait for diagnosis and repair to your amplifier, do not waste your time expecting anyone other than Bose to do the job properly. The Bose web site should provide information on Bose repair facilities in your area.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

A few late-breaking thoughts.

The audio amplifier is easily identified by the heat-sink fins cast into the exterior case.

There will be three or more electrical connectors at the audio amplifier box. One of those might be a two pin DC power input connector which is obviously doing what it needs to do.

The remainder of the will be low level audio input and amplified audio output. A corroded/oxidized connector pin on one of those 'could be' your issue. Take the time to cycle those connectors several times to scrub off any possible corrosion and then put your ear to the speaker location in question.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

A few late-breaking thoughts.

The audio amplifier is easily identified by the heat-sink fins cast into the exterior case.

There will be three or more electrical connectors at the audio amplifier box. One of those might be a two pin DC power input connector which is obviously doing what it needs to do.

The remainder of the will be low level audio input and amplified audio output. A corroded/oxidized connector pin on one of those 'could be' your issue. Take the time to cycle those connectors several times to scrub off any possible corrosion and then put your ear to the speaker location in question.

Thanks... I will do that first... before I do anything else...

Posted Image

Anyone with a schematic of the Bose system for the 2006 DTS?

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I have a cd that has the amp schematic but I don't know how to print it. I can't copy and paste it. Been trying to send it to my desk top then print it. No luck so far. I will keep trying some time later today.

if you find the amp, and could figure out which two wires go to the channel in question, why not use some scrap wire, and hook the speaker right at the back of the amp....then you can rule out it being an issue in the wiring harness somewhere. Could be a short in the wire where it travels from the body into to door.

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

if you find the amp, and could figure out which two wires go to the channel in question, why not use some scrap wire, and hook the speaker right at the back of the amp....then you can rule out it being an issue in the wiring harness somewhere. Could be a short in the wire where it travels from the body into to door.

That's kind of what I am planning ....

Found out on the other caddy board that there is a connector in the "B" pillar that the wiring harness from the door connects to.

Also found out the wire colors ... the plan now is to access the amp and see if the same wire colors are on it.

I have an extra speaker and I can then jump direct from the amp to the speaker...

Depending on what happens then... which way I will have to proceed...

Posted Image

The harness between the body and door...can cause problems. Broken wires inside the rubber flex tubing seem to be common on the Deville/DTS models.

Schematic is for a 2006 DTS UK2 radio.

post-2-0-23216400-1372361322_thumb.jpg

All I could get out of the schematic was a 400 X 280 thumbnail but that shows all the speakers connected to the main radio with two wires. No text was legible. Eight speakers are connected to their own drivers, four are connected to two drivers in pairs.

This definitely looks like a wiring harness issue.

Yeah, I'm voting for checking the harness between to body and the door. On my previous SRX I had the hot wire for the backup lights break 3x between the body and the hatch (once under warranty, the other two times I had to fix it), and the last time I noticed the larger gauge wire (I presume the one for the defrosters) was also showing signs of breaking down.

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Having a problem resizing the document.....get a 'too large' error message..

I got what I needed - twelve speakers, eight of them on their own amps, two pairs sharing an amp. All amps in the main radio, which is probably in the rear electronics bay behind the back seat.

The harness between the body and door...can cause problems. Broken wires inside the rubber flex tubing seem to be common on the Deville/DTS models.

Logan is that from a paper copy or off a cd? If a cd can you help me to get a copy from there (my cd) to the forum? I can't figure it out.

When I need the figure in the CD to post, I make the picture as big as I can and still be on the screen and do a screen shot.

With the schematic/picture at its smallest, I do get a "save picture" option when I right-click on the image. But if I click in the magnifying glass icon, I see no way to save the image. Ergo, the screen shot.

Logan is that from a paper copy or off a cd? If a cd can you help me to get a copy from there (my cd) to the forum? I can't figure it out.

It's a DVD version installed on my hard drive. Most images have to be dragged into a photoshop type software to be re-sized.

Most times the images work fine. The speaker schematic image is kind of busy...and lots of critical detail is lost sizing it down to 400x....the original is over 4000x.

Logan - My DVD is for 2011. What year is yours? Drag-and-drop is disabled in the IE window used to display the manuals when the GM DVD has control. If you know a way to download or copy the bitmaps with 4000 pixels to a side, please let me know.

My DVD has all of GM 1998-2009. Pretty much what the dealers have..

Anyway...to get the image I click and drag into some photo software. I am using Arc Soft. Then I can re-size the pic down to about a 300...which is then easy to post here.

Pic shows GM service manual on right....photo software on left.

That said...it doesn't like to do it....I get the little circle with a line thru it logo when I do it..(universal no aka the prohibition symbol..went and looked it up)...but it does end up working.

post-2-0-18781100-1372470389_thumb.jpg

Archived