CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'97 DeVille Head removal

jhall

I was preparing to remove the cylinder heads with the engine in the car. I understand that it is possible to take the heads out without removing the engine. Not so sure at this point...... <_<

I pulled the radiator, etc, and noticed that the front engine mount is in the way of the exhaust manifold & related bolts. I am assuming the engine needs to be supported and the mount(s) needs to be removed to gain access to the bolts.

Two questions:

Is it easier to pull the engine than trying to lift each side and remove the manifolds? (considering the fun I'll have removing the drive axles)

Can the AC compressor be dropped off the engine - before lifting the engine - so the system does not have to be opened and then recharged?

Any help appreciated. Preparing to pick up an engine hoist just in case.

I was preparing to remove the cylinder heads with the engine in the car. I understand that it is possible to take the heads out without removing the engine. Not so sure at this point...... <_<

I pulled the radiator, etc, and noticed that the front engine mount is in the way of the exhaust manifold & related bolts. I am assuming the engine needs to be supported and the mount(s) needs to be removed to gain access to the bolts.

Two questions:

Is it easier to pull the engine than trying to lift each side and remove the manifolds? (considering the fun I'll have removing the drive axles)

Can the AC compressor be dropped off the engine - before lifting the engine - so the system does not have to be opened and then recharged?

Any help appreciated. Preparing to pick up an engine hoist just in case.

The drive axles should not be a problem to remove. A slide hammer (with the fork attachment that fits into the grooves in the axle) will pop them right out.

There should be enough room to wire the compressor out of the way when removing the engine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived